1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This decision should give The NFL enough grounds to sell the team from
    under Snyder if he does not comply with court order.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Was the Buffalo nickel deemed racist?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From outside the Beltway, there are only two periods that I can remember this kind of intense national spotlight. The first was in 1992 when they were playing in the Super Bowl in Minnesota. That died down, and then the second is this ongoing fight beginning maybe four years ago, roughly timed to when Goodell took over.

The Redskins' name was never one of even the top 10 issues facing Tagliabue. But it has been on a much shorter list for Goodell.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I just find it interesting the same outrage does not apply to the Blackhawks, Braves or Seminoles.
    Their vaguely racist logos are deemed "artistic" and/or "authentic."

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

All of those have been described as racist at some point or another, and many in recent years. Why do you think the Braves stopped using Chief Noc-a-homa?

The only one that gets any sort of pass is Florida State because of the blessing of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

Redskins draws more scrutiny at the moment because it is an actual racial slur, while the others have at times, and in some cases still do, use demeaning caricatures.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A few of my son's football teammates have gotten offers from the University of North Dakota, whose nickname, I learned after looking up the school, is... nothing. It's in nickname limbo after dropping the Fighting Sioux but being barred by state legislation from imposing another nickname until 2015.

Somebody needs to come up with an informal nickname, its version of El Tri or Socceroos. Fighting Frackers?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

So noted.
    But the Blackhawks were supposedly named after a World War I detail.
    There's no need for the native illustration.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about the Redskins name is that it has always been racist - most people just haven't cared until recently. That doesn't make the name any less racist, or more so.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The dialog has really changed for the better in the past 4-5 years.
    We are truly becoming a kinder and gentler nation less focused
    on the rights of Caucasian Christians and more on the rights of
    all. In the end we will be much better for it.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There was a pretty widespread movement beginning in the 1970s in which many of insulting mascots and nicknames involving native Americans were changed. Syracuse dropped the Saltine Warrior, St. John's dropped Redmen, etc. The Redskins have been resisting for close to 40 years at this point.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

St. John's switched in 1994-95.

Draft saved Draft deleted