1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedy Central Roasts: Trump on Tuesday, but...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Giraldo was clever...Cummings and Lampanelli ain't worth a shit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why would you even put The Situation or Marlee Matlin on this roast?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watched about five minutes of this last night. The Situation was dreadful, and I loved the fact that he got booed by the people in the crowd. His jokes weren't funny -- some were downright uncomfortable.

Who was the chick he made fun of (the one who sat in the back row closest to Trump)?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Trump was the Roastmaster for Don King's Friar's Club Roast - and had been the subject a few years earlier - so it's always worth quoting from one of my all-time favorite magazine pieces, Let Us Now Raze Famous Men.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1105262/index.htm

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I thought Matlin was pretty funny to be honest...I hope The Situation's career just ended in front of the millions who watched, what a travesty of a human being. Read a book -- a children's book -- for God's sakes.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With a few exceptions per roast, this should be the pool Comedy Central draws from every time it does a roast. Keep in mind that they're not paid that well to do them and that's usually what prevents A-list talent from doing them. The exceptions are when the subject is beloved and all their friends show up (Leary comes to mind).

Jeffrey Ross
    Whitney Cummings
    Adam Carolla
    Nick DiPaolo
    Artie Lange (if he ever fully recovers)
    Jimmy Kimmel (probably too famous at this point)
    Lisa Lampanelli
    Rob Schneider
    Kathy Griffin

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I caught just a few minutes of the replay at the beginning after work. The one line I did like from what I saw was McFarlane saying that Trump has such a big ego that when he's banging a supermodel he imagines that he's jerking off.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

thought matlin's bit was funny as hell until the aflac duck had to ruin it. the new guy was pretty funny. but no maureen mccormick? a travesty!

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Trump roast travesties:

1. Comedy Central exec responsible for having the Situation on the dais.
    2. Situation's joke writer.
    3. Anyone surprised that the Situation bombed, aka anyone who expected him to be funny.

10. The Situation.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Everyone seemed tremendously weak this year. Even Cummings and Lampanelli, who are terrific at slamming the guest of honor, seemed uninspired. I see Cummings' career fizzling out over the next 24 months. I caiught her stand up special after the Hasselhoff roast and it was completely unfunny. And yeah, I have no idea why the roast was on a Tuesday when they've been on Sunday nights in the past.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I loved Lampanelli's line about Amazon.com saying that people who bought The Situation's book "also bought a rope and a stool."

And I thought Snoop was very good. Like most rappers, he's a natural performer and good at delivering lines.

12. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I loved the roast. My favorite joke of the night-

"When Donald Trump is fucking a supermodel, he thinks about himself jerking off."

Draft saved Draft deleted