1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedy Central announces Charlie Sheen Roast...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Leary roast was unbelivably funny.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think that was probably the case with Saget as well.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very true.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yup. He would never put himself in that position. Also his show is on a slow burn to radio oblivion.

5. fkallyall

fkallyall New Member

How bout a posthumous Brad Renfro Roast?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He wasn't great in a lot of things........but was damn good in The Client.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got fed up and canceled Sirius. Every time I turned it on, he was on vacation or working a three-day week.

8. fkallyall

fkallyall New Member

Yes he was....God's speed Mel Renfro.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"How much blow can Charlie Sheen do? Enough to kill two and a half men," fired off Jon Lovitz.

"Don't you want to live to see your kids take their first 12 steps?" asked Jeffrey Ross, who was dressed as deposed Libyan leader Moammar Kadafi. "How do you roast a meltdown?"

Amy Schumer compared Sheen to Bruce Willis: "You were big in the '80s, and now your old slot is being filled by Ashton Kutcher."

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Stern is getting close to the Imus level of irrelevance. And I'd say I am (was?) a fan.

Once he went to Sirius he was out of sight, out of mind.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Leary, Jerry Stiller and Carey roasts were some of the first roasts I ever watched. (The Carey and Stiller roasts were the coming out party of Jeff Ross.) They were like part of my childhood. Once I found those, I started looking up Don Rickles and Sinatra and Lucille Ball roasts and they were absolutely hilarious. It makes you realize that a lot of comedians nowadays use cursing as a form of hilarity, at least in their heads. That is why a guy like Carlin, who used profane language plenty, used it at the right time most of the time. He knew the difference.

I'm going off on a tangent, but I'm basically saying that the roasts are not as classy as they used to be. Who's to blame, well... I'm not exactly sure.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sheen got off some great ones in his rebuttal, too. Read that he said "just last week, I had a great conversation Lovitz. Then, he got back on his lawn mower and drove away."

My fave so far, though, is from Amy Shuler who said Sheen's like Bruce Willis. "You were both big in the 1980's and your old slot is now being filled by Ashton Kutcher."

Draft saved Draft deleted