1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedian admits he lied about 9/11 escape

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Think I read somewhere that it was supposed to be a 1-season or 2-seasons show, but they extended it after it became so popular. It definitely has that feeling now.

If you look at an episode like "The Guest Bong" and then watch the first 2 episodes of this season, they are not even in the same galaxy quality-wise.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Needs more car analogy.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a NYPD or FDNY member jump on stage and beat his ass to a pulp. And then somehow escape without assault charges.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    cjericho likes this.
  4. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw on the guide late last night where his special was going to be showing on Comedy Central. Flipped by and they had replaced it with Ari Shaffir's special. I think it was on Shaffir's podcast that I first heard him tell his 9/11 story.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Just heard him tell the story for first time starting around the 24 minute mark of this clip. And I found it downright creepy the detail he put into this lie--the specific description of his fictional Merrill Lynch job, his steps afterward, his PTSD dreams, his basketball teammates dying, etc.--he had the whole story down. This wasn't some spur of the moment lie he instantly regretted, instead sounds like something he'd clearly put plenty thought into beforehand.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The solace to take from this is that pretty much everyone else in that cast has a bunch of other solid stuff to fall back on. This guy wasn't going to get any jobs after The League ended anyways. He's just a really bad actor.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Never trust a man who will pretend to be married to another man's wife right in front of that man.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I had no idea those two were married. That's interesting.

Also, I haven't watched The League since the second or third season when they started forcing all those athlete cameos into the show. Sure, guys like this have their draft in Vegas with Chad Ochocinco. Got it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was with you, TSP, just going to chalk it up to being some fibs from a guy no one knew existed 14 years ago. Pulling the commercials? Come on. But the thought and dedication he gave to it makes me think he deserves everything he gets. And good on Pete Donaldson for ripping him for it. Though Donaldson's jokes about 9/11 make me cringe. Not sure if it's something he does often, but saw him do some on the roasts on Comedy Central. Just a coping thing for him, though, I guess.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't enjoy that part of it either, but still enjoy the show at times. But it is light years away from what it started out as, for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted