1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Come get your pardons while they're red hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nice pull.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't look at it as an abuse of power. Look at is as a retirement fund for presidents.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It isn't parsing to point that Scooter Libby remains a convicted felon. It's a simple fact. Politically speaking, there isn't a difference between commutation and pardon in terms of how the public views it -- either way, Libby gets out of jail -- but the difference is not technical.

And if Bush pardoned people so they wouldn't testify against him, he is dumber than a box filled with rocks and cowshit. By pardoning them, he removed their ability to claim the 5th Amendment for their actions, making it EASIER for a Lawrence Walsh to get them to testify.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Regarding Libby, politically speaking was my standard. I should have made that clearer.

The Bush I pardons all but ended a federal investigation. That's not nothing.

Yeah, it would have been easier to get those guys to testify, but the liklihood that they would decreased to, well, zero. The political climate was not favorable to Walsh convening another grand jury, which Bush certainly took into account when he considered the pardons.

The point, though, is that, on this thread, the definition of "crony" seems to be a lot more encompassing -- and a hell of a lot less high-reaching -- for a Democratic president than a Republican one. And that point continues to stand.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, Weinberger didn't pay William Trotter Bush anything to get his pardon.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid. i'll think more positive from now on.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The USATF responds to Marion Jones' request for a pardon:

8. nibs price

nibs price Member

"The"?

Sit in jail and rot, Marion. Think of what you did to your kid.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Blow it out your ass.

10. I beg your pardon?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think that was directed at nibs, who, BTW, cruises up and down the interstate at 80 mph.

12. Whoops, sorry, I'm just so used to begging for pardons (my knees never recovered from my begging before Gerry Ford) that's it's old habit.

And Nibs better hope my buddy Johnny Law up around the Commonwealth doesn't catch him up exceeding 80 mph with a radar detector on his dash - or his earhole won't be the only orifice stinging.

Draft saved Draft deleted