1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast Nationals blackout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 18, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So why did TBS stop carrying Braves games? Grew up watching the Braves, even though I'm a little over 6 hours from Atlanta...

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because they got the MLB Sunday national TV deal plus the division series and one LCS (NL in odd years, AL even years) in October.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's technically true, though it started down this path a few years ago. Here's the gist of it:

TBS wanted to become a national "comedy" network with re-runs and original programming, the same way TNT has built its brand on dramas like "The Closer" and re-runs of "Law & Order" and "NYPD Blue."

Can't blame them, really. TBS probably gets higher ratings showing, say an episode of Seinfeld from 1993 on a Tuesday night than it would showing the Braves against the Marlins.

The biggest problem this has caused is that the Braves are now broadcast on three different networks — FSN South, SportSouth (formerly Turner South) and PeachTree TV. I keep a schedule on a clipboard on the coffee table just so I'll know what station they're on each night.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are watching tonight, right? Just want to make sure you see them whenever they are available.

5. Steak Snabler

Yes. Keep crackin' wise.

6. Moderator1

I get like two chances a month - so deal with it!
    Braves are one of three teams (Pirates and Cubs are the others) that are losing the season series to the Nats.

7. Steak Snabler

Having to make three separate trips to DC in the season's first three weeks probably has something to do with that.

8. Moderator1

Hey, they got to meet President Bush. So it was worth it.
    Plus they were there when Zimmerman hit it out.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Peachtree TV comes in on Channel 1 on our cable system (we're in a Braves market, too). When game's not on, all we get are color bars.

Unfortunately, it replaced some pay-per-view channel (i.e., nudity!) that we were receiving without paying for.

10. Moderator1

Snake, you getting this one?

11. Steak Snabler

Like a Jo-Jo Reyes fastball in the dirt. I'm convinced Cox got himself tossed so he wouldn't have to watch Reyes pitch anymore.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Snake, that is really strange that you got blacked out once (sounds quite random).
    I live in South Carolina and have DirecTV with MLB Extra Innings. It has both teams' broadcast feeds if available, and I'm always able to watch any feed I want except the Braves' opponent on that particular evening (blackout rules, I assume).
    But not being able to watch the Braves within their territory, I assume, since you refrenced all three channels that carry them, doesn't make any sense to me.
    Hope it doesn't happen again.
    By the way, does anybody know why Fox national TV doesn't just cave and make all its regional Saturday feeds available for Extra Innings subscribers? This Cubs fan pays $150 per year for EI and not being able to get Fox Saturday Cubs games - when I assume it would involve just flipping an extra switch - burns me to no end.

Draft saved Draft deleted