1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast Nationals blackout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just moved into a new place in a new town about two weeks ago. I tune in to try and catch the Braves and Nationals tonight and I get a black screen. WTF?

I understand there is some sort of dispute between Comcast and the Nationals, with something to do with MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) and the Orioles. But why does that affect me here in the heart of Braves country?

Yeah, I know, get DirecTV. But my landlord won't allow it.

Anybody (Moddy?) know the deal with all this? It wasn't an issue in my old town and I had cable (Cable One) there as well.

Just curious, because it's a pain in the ass, the Braves and Nationals playing 19 times a year and all ...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That dispute has been over for ages. MASN is part of the regular Comcast lineup - but not in all areas - and the games are not blacked out. Do you normally get the Nats games?

3. Steak Snabler

No, just the Braves and the national broadcasts (ESPN, Fox, etc.). This is the first game against the Nats that's been on since I've been here, so I'm not sure if it's a regular thing or not.

I suppose I should "call my local cable provider," but I was trying to avoid 15 minutes on hold if possible.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We've already had several calls about it here, too. We get nothing but a black screen.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was wondering what the heck was going on, too. If there is some sort of Comcast/Nats problem, I can see if it's in Washington, but this game in in Atlanta.

6. Moderator1

When the Nats thing with Comcast was going and before I had DirecTV, I could not get the Nats-Braves on TBS (this was when TBS actually showed the games). They were blacked out here.
    Is it a regular channel that is blacked out or a pay channel? Because the dispute has been settled.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Steak, are you looking at the MASN channel or the Braves channel?
    Your first post has me confused

8. Steak Snabler

I'm watching the game on Comcast Sports Southeast, which is supposed to carry games that air in Atlanta on PeachTree TV, the local independent station.

I'll try to explain this, because it's complicated:

After TBS stopped showing games, PeachTree TV bought the rights to 35 games that weren't going to be shown on the Fox regional networks that show all the other Braves games not on national TV.

Since PeachTree TV is available only in the Atlanta TV market, that would have shut out viewers in the rest of the South who had been watching Braves telecasts on one stations or another since the 1970s. To combat this, PTV created a regional network of cable systems that would show the games.

In my old town, I had CableOne, and they decided to show the PTV games on the local access channel. Comcast and Charter Cable decided to show the games on CSS. DirecTV created a special "Braves" channel.

Tonight was the first time since I moved to my new town that they were playing the Nationals, and the game was being broadcast on PeachTree TV (and thus, CSS). But I got a black screen. Nothing.

I suspect it has something to do with the Nationals, because I can remember Braves games against them being blacked out on ESPN years ago. But I'm not absolutely certain.

I was hoping someone else would know.

9. Moderator1

They may be doing you a favor. Braves should be winning going away but they're doing enough to let the Nats stay in it. 7-5 Braves in the seventh. Nats got royally fucked on a call in the top of the inning.

10. Steak Snabler

I'm actually listening on the radio, so not really. But thanks, anyway.

11. Moderator1

Before I went to DirecTV and before the issue was resolved, the Nats-Braves games on TBS were blacked out here even though I couldn't get the Nats' broadcast.
    It was explained to me in one of my many calls that THIS was the Nats/Orioles turf and another team couldn't broadcast a game with either of those teams in this area - EVEN IF THE GAME WASN'T AVAILABLE ON MY SYSTEM.
    I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. But you are apparently in Braves land and this game is on a Braves network, even though it may not be on in yours. So Comcast's broadcast can't be shown there.

12. Steak Snabler

My head's spinning, but I think I understand. Thanks, Moddy, as always.

Draft saved Draft deleted