1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast - may you be out of business in 2 years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jan 3, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

After I disconnected my service and failed to pick up my boxes, they sent me a bill for $1,300 (that was resolved quickly). Also in the bill was a small $79 charge for a cable modem - one I disputed from the start because it was my modem (a Linksys) I bought at Best Buy.
    Today, I get my held mail from being gone for 2 weeks...in it is a UPS label from Comcast saying they need the modem back NOW or I will be turned into a collection agency. Mid you, since the original bill, I had called them 4 times to ask if this was resolved, never got a callback as was promised each time.
    I call, she says, ok, with the serial number, we now know that the modem was never in our warehouse. NO, REALLY, WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR ALMOST A MONTH?

However, she says, we were turned into the collection agency 2 weeks ago.
    After a profane 30-second stretch of screaming at the top of my lungs, I say "Fix it. NOW"
    Her: "We can't"
    Me: "BULLSHIT"
    Her: "Once the information is turned into the agency, nothing we can do about it"
    Me: "OH, YES, THERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT....FIX IT...IT WAS YOUR MISTAKE TO BEGIN WITH"
    Her..."Sorry, I think that's the way it's going to be"
    Me: "I WILL NOT HAVE THAT ON MY CREDIT REPORT FOREVER BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO YOUR JOBS"
    Her..."Well, what is the best solution here?"
    Me..."WHO HAVE I BEEN YELLING AT THE LAST 2 MINUTES? ARE YOU NOT LISTENING?"
    Her..."Well, I can suggest one thing for you to do...write a letter to the agency"
    Me..."ARE YOU NUTS??? YOU ARE THE ONES WHO NEED TO FIX IT"
    Her.."Can I call you back?"
    Me..."No, a supervisor can, not you. You've pissed me off enough, it's someone else's tun to get blistered."
    Her...small giggle
    Me..."IT'S NOT FUNNY"

*click*

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Marv. PM me, I might be able to help.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

sorry mark. That does suck. Maybe Pete's suggestion in PM, whatever it is, can help.

One thing I would suggest is, if you can help it, never let them off the phone. Insist on a supervisor that minute. "Can I call you back" is her way to get off the phone. Nothing more.

And the minute the idiot giggles, I'm asking for her name. Make sure she realizes you are pissed enough to go after her job. Get a name, then tell her you are done with her and she needs to put a supervisor on the line immediately.

I always forget stuff like getting the person's name. But the good thing is at least you get to unload some frustrations on people who truly deserve it.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, the Better Business Bureau and the PA Attorney General's offices are getting faxes from me today...the letter is already half-done.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm pretty sure that you can also write a letter disputing the collection to the credit bureaus and they will attach it to your credit reports.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Similar thing happened to me when my mortgage payment was misapplied and reported to the credit bureau that I was late. ....I had to write a letter to the 3 credit bureaus explaining what happened. What pissed me off is that the mortgate company told me it wasn't reported as late and I found out it was when I went to refinance.

Ridiculous.

7. Pete Incaviglia

I assume Marv is a journalist. Record those calls!

Also, asking for a supervisor isn't always what you think. The wife has a friend who works at a call center. All they do there is pass the phone to another grunt who pretends to be a supervisor.

8. outofplace

True...I've had some luck doing that, though. If nothing else, maybe the next person will wear down and realize that it is going to be much easier to just do what you ask. I swear, sometimes it is a battle off attrition with these people.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm also pretty sure the Comcast girl either lied/was mistaken when she said there's nothing they can do now.

10. outofplace

Oh, there is no question she lied. The question is if she is being lazy or the company does not want her to deal with it.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck Comcast.

Fuck 'em.

Up the ass.

With a red-hot iron poker.

Dipped in battery acid.

Fuck Comcast.

That is all.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Ah Starman. I love it.