1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Combatting league takeovers of access

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But the NFL has the best drug testing program in pro sports!

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Your choice in the matter: Cover the event or don't cover the event. That's it. Stop whining. You don't have a "right" to any more access than the private league wants to allow you.

Do you realize how hard the flaks at Procter & Gamble would laugh if you told them you want them to give you access to the lockerroom after the second shift lets out in their Leipsic, Ohio plant because you're writing a story on PEDs among factory workers?

Why do people persist in thinking they have some "right" to access?

3. Ok, so let's all just roll over anytime they try to limit our access. Let's only write positive pieces too, because that earns favor with the league.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Do what you like. I'm just trying to explain to yet another person that there is no "right" to credentials or access to athletes.

Sometimes I think it's bad for reporters to begin their careers in sports because after a while it makes those reporters think they just need to show up at events and someone will hand them information and set up interviews for them.

5. captzulu

captzulu Member

I agree. The league is well within its rights to give or not give access to media, and the media are well within their rights to cover or not cover an event. The only reason for the league to grant media access is the potential benefits to itself, not because it feels the media is entitled to access.

Draft saved Draft deleted