1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists at the same paper who don't get along

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Lupica's column reads like a guy who's there for a working vacation.

Fuck him. The only thing bland about Bondy's column was the headline. It looks like the headline of a straight AP gamer. Did Lupica insist they put a dull headline on Bondy's column to make his column look better?

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

About 10 years ago I thought we'd tire of the Lupica/Albom/this-guy-didn't-say-hi-to-me threads.

I guess not.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You don't like 'em? Don't click on them.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To annoy Slappy, I will now point out a substantive difference between Lupica and Albom (BTW, got along great with both guys, but then I wasn't working with them).
    Mitch has proved his appeal to a mass audience in the marketplace with best-selling books. Those books are not to my taste, but millions disagree. People went to stores or went on line and forked/clicked over real dough to create those figures.
    Newspaper managements in New York, especially that of Daily News THINK Lupica sells papers. But they don't really know, and all the market research, focus groups, etc. they would cite as proof isn't really proof, just a more educated form of guessing.
    When one of Mike's books gets made into a made-for-TV movie like Mitch's have, I will believe he has the same mass appeal. Until then, no.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Aw, hell. if you want to annoy me, you can do better. I agree with your analysis with Albom. He panders to the lowest common demoninator and it works -- for him.
    Readers who appreciate more than "GO (insert local team name here)!" batter him with every column.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I agree. Albom really does have his moments where he is, in my humble opinion, as good as advertised. Lupica gets to be on ESPN. Nothing against Lupica, don't know the guy, just never been wowed.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on who's doing the advertising and when.
    When he started in Detroit, he was as good as the guy he replaced.
    over the years, it became more and more about feeding the self-perpetuating monster rather than being truly original. If there's any one columnist who has truly become predictable and formulaic in his day-to-day copy, it's Albom.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Frank Ridgeway always brings some good insight and well thought out opinions - I agree with him more often than I disagree with him, but he is agreeable even when we disagree. To imply that Frank kisses up to anybody is flat out wrong and anybody who posts that doesn't know what they are talking about.

And you know, I have to admit it does kind of feel good to rip on Lupica, the self-aggrendizing jerk. It's like smacking golf balls at a driving range or watching a Three Stooges movie when you are upset - it gives you a good feeling that you probably shouldn't feel good about.

It could be a situation where Lupica article or some project. He did a lot of articles for Tennis magazine back in the day, so there is a record of interest.

And I can't stand how that jerk Lupica acts like he id the representative of the sportswriting profession.

(Exhale) - Aaahhhh... now I feel better

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Even if two people don't like each other, I don't understand why it has to be taken into the public eye in print.

You don't like a guy? Fine. Do your job without pissing on his shoes and trying to look better so readers will think you're a bigshot. If you have a problem hash it out privately and be professional when it comes to your work.

10. filipbondy

filipbondy New Member

I went to considerable trouble registering on this site so that I can put an end to the bizarre conjecture about Lupica and myself at Wimbledon. So here it goes:

1. Lupica was on vacation with his family. He showed up at the press center after warning me by email, and then was given a credential on the spot. He asked if I would mind if he wrote, and then filed two columns during two days here.

2. The first day worked out well. He saved me the trouble of writing a second piece.

3. The second day I still had to write two pieces, because Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova were both eliminated later in the day after he left.

4. That's really about it. And no, I didn't snore when I slept on Charlie Vincent's floor in Sardinia. I needed the room that night because the hoolies were in town, and there were no vacancies.

End of story. Hardly the stuff of tabloid headlines...

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Considerable trouble? Registering here should be the easiest part of your day.
    But now that you've done it, don't be a stranger.

12. filipbondy

filipbondy New Member

I always have trouble with that "copy the letters" segment. Blew it twice. And then my password was too short. Life is too complicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted