1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist likens Vancouver Olympics to 1936

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by V_Corningstone, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mr. LeBreton has likened the patriotism displayed by our Canadian friends to that we witnessed at the 1936 Berlin Olympiad.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/28/v-print/2003874/in-these-olympics-canadians-only.html

Have our Canadian friends reason to get their knickers in a knot or does LeBreton make some valid points?

My curiosity is piqued.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tits McGee has the night off?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's freakin' insane. Really. That's just outside reality as I understand it. What do you think the USA-worship would be like if there was ever an Olympics in Texas?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wasn't in Vancouver but I was in Beijing & Torino and I don't recall a heavy "patriotic" tone in either city so he may have a point.

China did do a nice job scaring the hell out of the rest of the world with the drummer portion of the Opening Ceremonies though.

Be interested to get a take from any SportsJournalists.commers who were in Vancouver and have covered other Olympiads.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is rich coming from a Texan.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ron Burgandy says"

"I think D_B is the name of an old wooden ship"

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Canada went a little overboard with the nationalism. Comparing it with 1936 is ridiculous though.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When Stephen Harper orders the Mounties to invade North Dakota in 2013, don't say we weren't warned.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, then who was Jesse Owens?

10. NBAonNBC

NBAonNBC Member

Ridiculous on so many levels...first of all, how can you make a comparison without having been in both places? And I also must have missed the propaganda, promoting the supremacy of the Aryan race.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All bloggers and columnists should have a special filter installed in their word processors that asks the writer if they Really want to use a Nazi analogy in whatever they are writing.
    If the author types in yes - the filter should ask AGAIN do you Really, REALLY want to use a Nazi analogy?
    If the author again types in yes, the filter should then ask "Is this a lame attempt to drive traffic to your site"?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted