1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist: Josh Hamilton lacks mental toughness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's science.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I worded that very poorly. Recall that in my initial post, I acknowledged that there certainly are players who lack heart to perform day-in and day-out.

What I should have written in the subsequent post was that the impulse is to assume it must be a character issue, when indeed it could be a biological issue. But the tendency of some seems to be to assume character as the default.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being serious.

This year alone, we have had a prolonged slump and some soul-searching comments that turn out to be related to "quitting tobacco"; and now we have a sinus infection, which might be true and serious and might be, as anyone who has seen Ferris Bueller knows, a very good and somewhat non-verifiable excuse. And that's after the bar episode over the winter. This is all just in the last nine months.

It is curious.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Note also that an addict can't just take a 'couple tablets.'

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because when you make it a character issue, it becomes easier to distill it (or similar stories) into heroes and villains, the building blocks of great sportswriting.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, he's about to become a free agent and it seems like it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be back. Maybe that's the bigger issue with his teammates.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

There might be more derision involved as there's a fair chance his sinus tissues are cooked from years of cocaine abuse.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Reminds me a lot of a guy named Mickey Mantle.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The baseball-football comparison is stupid, too. Big difference between playing through something for one day when you have the next six days to attend to it and playing through something when you rarely get a day off for six months. If a baseball player tried to play through everything, he'd likely end up missing significant portions of the season because his body got run down by never taking care of it. That's especially heightened for someone like Hamilton.

And I don't want to hear about Cal Ripken; he was a freak of nature.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How about Lou Gehrig?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember being absolutely pummeled for suggesting on the Jay Cutler thread a couple years ago that sports writers should independently check out the assessments they get on his knee injury and at least retain a healthy dose of skepticism about team injury releases.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Would it have killed the columnist to have at least tried to speak to Hamilton before writing this?

Or, maybe he could have gotten a quote -- maybe even an anonymous one -- from a teammate sharing his view.

As it is, his opinion is completely uninformed and speculative. It's worthless.

Draft saved Draft deleted