1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist hangs beat writer out to dry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Floyd

Floyd Member

I've never covered Calhoun but I have read other of Jacobs' stuff ripping him. I have no doubt Calhoun is a dick, but do readers care? I mean, isn't it sort of self-serving to make a habit out of using your column to tell readers how hard your job is or who is mean to you at work? As a writer, I can empathize with dealing with asshole coaches, but as a fan of a team, frankly, I don't give a shit. I want something from my columnist (as well as anyone else covering the team) that matters to me. How the coach of my team talks to the media isn't really my problem, and it's definitely not what I want to read about. Hell, as a fan, if I thought completely hazing the local media would get my team to the Final Four, I'd be all for it. Of course, I hate UConn, so fuck 'em.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but here the columnist didn't say Calhoun was a dick. He just described Calhoun and let readers figure it out for themselves.

3. Floyd

Floyd Member

Fair enough, but I have read other stuff Jacobs has written that were strictly axe-grinding material. While this one isn't quite to that level, previous work puts it in a different perspective. Although, to be fair, I'm sure that for anyone dealing with Calhoun day in and day out, 1-2 columns a year on what an ass he is probably doesn't seem to be overkill. Those are just the only ones I've read.

4. "Talk about leadership, Coach," Brett Orzechowski of the New Haven Register said. "A.J. and Jeff disappeared at certain times during the game."

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm still waiting to hear what the first actual question was. ;D

5. shecky

shecky Member

Who gives a flying flip how Calhoun treats beat writers? The readers are usually on the coach's side because of blind faith. Just another case of writers inserting themselves into the story. Take notice that nobody in New Haven has written about this. Good for them.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a columnist inserting someone else into the story. Otherwise, I see your point.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Calhoun is a dick, but it was a pretty weak attempt at a question.

One thing that tends to happen with those UConn beat guys is, they tend to grandstand for each other.

8. Another question I have is whether it's right to address Calhoun as "Coach." I've always steered away from addressing coaches in this manner, but I'm only dealing with prep coaches most of the time.
    Is this a common practice? Is it acceptable? Or is it not something I need to get hung up on?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So in a press conference would you go with Jim or Mr. Calhoun or something else?

10. If I know him, I'd go with Jim. I wouldn't expect him to call me Mr. Pritchard or Sports Writer.
    The way I see it -- and I'm willing to admit I could be seeing it wrong -- he's not my coach, so why should I call him Coach? I never called my professors "Professor," either.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool if you know him. Awkward if you don't, though.

12. I guess what I'm wondering is if by addressing him as "Coach," am I just showing some respect or is it seen as trying to kiss his ass?

Draft saved Draft deleted