1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Jan 23, 2007.

1. m2spts

m2spts Member

Six figures, "1" being the first figure, but "2" and "3" possible.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just in time for the Emeralds' season, and a month or so to get the lay of the land before football starts, time to enjoy some of the best summer weather in the United States, and maybe even attend the Oregon Country Fair :eek: and get your fill of body-painted eye candy.

Whomever gets this job will be one lucky writer. I know they want someone "edgy" (yes, I hate that word, too) because Ron B is ready for the department to make a change in editorial direction and perhaps assume a lttle harder approach than he's been comfortable with the past 20 years to shake up the mellow Eugene/PNW mindset a little. But you probably can wear Birkies to work, and you'll work with some great guys/gals who are also very good at their jobs.

(Call it the Canzano factor, even though virtually every analytical piece JC has written this year has proven wildly incorrect.)

You will be following Blaine Newnam, Bud Withers and Ron Bellamy; the newside columnist, Bob Welch, sometimes dabbles in sports and he's top-notch as well. Better have some serious chops.

You probably can wear Birkies to work, and even with the loss of Rodman there's a lot of other great guys/gals there who are also very good at their jobs.

As stated earlier, I truly believe this is one of the top 10 jobs in the country in our profession this year.

3. Mitch Albom earns at least $250,000 a year from the Free Press alone. At least he did when it was Knight Ridder. I doubt he took a pay cut. Probably makes more than that, in fact.

4. Mitch Albom earns at least $250,000 a year from the Free Press alone. At least he did when it was Knight Ridder. I doubt he took a pay cut. Probably makes more than that, in fact.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Mitch Albom earns at least $250,000 a year from the Free Press alone. At least he did when it was Knight Ridder. I doubt he took a pay cut. Probably makes more than that, in fact.

Just felt it needed to be said again.

6. Randy Galloway makes the same in Fort Worth.

7. boots

boots New Member

Don't believe all of these speculations. Unless you are their employer or work for the IRS, the numbers, many times, are exaggerated.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

All I care about is this: Can I wear Birkies to work?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Probably.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Galloway is well into six figures.

11. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

It was pretty much common knowledge that Randy got $250,000 to bolt from the Morning News.

Heck, call his radio show and ask. I bet Randy would tell you.

12. The Knight Ridder numbers ---- I know it's gone, you know what I mean ---- come from an impeccable source who negotiated salaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted