1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Jan 23, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn Californicators.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Back to our thread.
    If the circ. here is 77,000 daily, what is it on Sunday?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Does this fit in the too good to be true category, as in 1,500 applications between now and the deadline?

Jesus. What laid-off Sporting News columnist is looking for a gig?

Anyone from a paper of less than 100,000 daily circulation need not apply.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think that's extremely silly advice to give printdust. i believe the guard is looking to fill a niche and would hire a person from a small paper in a second if they believed they found their guy or girl.

not sure where you're from, but the guard and the spokesman review are two of the most respected papers in the PNW because the folks who run them understand newspapering -- more so for the spokesman a decade ago than today.

and buckeye, here are some circ. numbers:
    REGISTER-GUARD, EUGENE (LANE CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 68,497
    REGISTER-GUARD, EUGENE (LANE CO.) SUN DLY 72,626
    REGISTER-GUARD, EUGENE (LANE CO.) SAT M DLY 74,848

5. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Tom is wise. He's my new favorite. I was told by a former editor to apply with the idea that even if I didn't get it, my name would be considered for further openings. Any credence to that?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ha, the 26-year-olds on this board with three years experience, but still believe they are vets of the biz, will give you some grief for that initial statement, but no, no you probably won't be considered for future openings unless you totally knock their socks off and someone else just happens to edge you out in the race for the columnist job. BUT, the reality is, it's only a 70k circ. paper, and they will be looking at all resumes for this niche position.

you have nothing to lose, except for an hour of your time and a few bucks postage.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

An applicant's experience or skill set might not seem to match that of a columnist, but a good editor will recognize talent that could be developed for another position down the road. Only the lazy or files-phobic editors toss submissions after jobs are filled.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, but you only save the ones that really, really stand out ... hence my original point.

9. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

How did this turn out, or did it?

10. boots

boots New Member

Word from the famed boots pipeline is that it is pending, for what that's worth.

11. m2spts

m2spts Member

Ron Bellamy, the SE, sent me a note, as promised, and I admire him for his professionalism.
    A lot of other guys got similar notes, but it didn't look like it was the same "mail merge" type of note that everyone got.
    It's a great gig for someone and I expect it to be filled by June.

12. LoveJesus9

LoveJesus9 New Member

How much do you think someone, such as Mitch Albom, earns as a columnist? Or even Bob Ryan?

Draft saved Draft deleted