1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column Advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cansportschick, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I am freaking out right now and need some solid adivce. I have to get a column ready for a job interview/application that is due today. I want to obviously make a good enough impression to get the freelance gig.

I have written columns before, but this one matters because it will make or break me getting a job. I know that some of you have written columns before. Is there any advice you can offer up asap for me?

Thank you ever so much!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you just learn of your homework assignment? Geez.
    Be yourself. If you try to write something that isn't you, they'll figure it out soon enough.

3. Cansportschick

yeah, I did learn but I want to make sure I have all the do's and don'ts checked off.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

1) Write about something you know. And for which you have some passion.

2) Write to support a single, strong idea or argument.

3) Write a clear, purposeful lede introducing that idea or argument.

4) Support that idea or argument with several pieces of evidence.

5) Write a clean, declarative ending that synthesizes your ideas and arguments, and echoes and recalls your lede.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Check your spelling 50 times, and have someone else check it as well.
    Avoid using 'I' as if your life depends on it.
    Don't try to be funny or clever unless you are really, REALLY funny and clever.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, the more i read your stuff, the more solid you are. clutch post.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Write on a local topic if at all possible.

And the five-point checklist was perfect. Avoiding "I" is critically important, as is prooofreading.

8. Cansportschick

Thanks all of you for the opinions. I am not freaking out anymore. I value all the advice given.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Good luck. And thanks, T_P.

10. times38

times38 Member

that pretty much sums it up, although I think even some of us who write columns don't follow it enough sometimes.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Best advice I ever got in that regard: Make sure it's a column, not a feature posing as a column.

Good luck.

12. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Wow. I don't know about that one. Some of Rick Reilly's best "columns" are features. He had one recently about a father-son boxing trainer tandem working out of a building about to be taken over by eminent domain in San Diego. He took a stance, but it was more feature than column.

Draft saved Draft deleted