1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch thinks Elway is still playing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I heard from two friends also downtown who got the two-star edition as well. If they went in midway through the fourth quarter and chased with quotes, that's not a lot of papers.

I know the Boulder and Longmont papers got the early version of the stories from the Post (Digital First owns both of them) but held off going in until the game was over so the final score and final Manning numbers were included.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely this. My former shop is nowhere near the size of Denver, but about 10 years (or more) back, we had our MLB team of interest (a couple of hours away, but of high, high interest) in a playoff game on the West Coast that started at 10 p.m. local time. We were just doing wire on it, but when our EE found out about the late start, he sent an e-mail to the production, circulation and newsroom bosses. It explained what the situation was, and just said, "I don't care how it has to happen, but there's not a fucking paper leaving this building on that night without that game story in it."

I doubt that would happen today, and I'm sure that EE has probably been laid off since then. Too sensible of a thinker.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

BY DENVER POST STAFF

President Harry Truman lost his bid for re-election to Republican challenger Thomas Dewey on Tuesday. The exact vote totals were unavailable as of press time ....

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Elway headline was the national laughingstock for a day, an honest but bad mistake, while the Post's early edition is just poor newspapering. Early editions are part of the biz, especially when you have unforeseen stuff like the lightning delay. If you can't get the final score in, run an early-edition feature, a halftime notebook with injuries, first-half oddities or whatever (no score) and a shitload of big photos from the pregame festivities or whatnot. A columnist writing about Manning's SIX touchdowns is flat embarrassing.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Describes many newsrooms.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a desker didn't have time to wait on the AP story to move and wrote it based on watching the TV broadcast/looking at the live stats online. I did that many times in my desk days, though I never included a player who'd been retired for 15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted