1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm constantly finding parallels between various parts of my life. The Catholic church I attend, like others, is battling to stay relevant. One of the interesting things they've done is develop four "distinct" masses. There's an "old school" mass, a "family" mass, a Spanish-language mass and a student mass all with music and formats unique to themselves. Twenty years ago I suggested the paper I worked at develop a stand-alone website aimed at younger readers. Kids don't read the paper, but they read websites. Sure you could fill it with syndicated junk about celebrities and fashion, but you could throw in high school sports coverage, a local news round-up targeted to younger readers. We did produce a stand-alone education page, which was soon gutted due to space cuts, but one of the interesting things was the editor would bring in new students each month as "guest editors" to suggest stories, etc.
    It's probably too late now, but it could have been great, particularly with Twitter etc.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was in Columbus for the first time last month and saw the Dispatch.

My god, the thing looked like a shopper. It was a quarter-fold tabloid and it looked like there might have been 20 pages. Ok, 40 max. And this was on a Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted