1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL reporter | Columbus Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ss90, Sep 7, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

True story: GateHouse paper hires an experienced guy from Florida for one of their New England properties. Six weeks later, layoffs come out of nowhere. Guy is sent packing. Hope that doesn't happen to this chap.

Liut likes this.
  2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Aaron Portzline was already doing that.

But George Richards can do that as well.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

No doubt, no slight to what Aaron has done. Very excited for George

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. ss90

ss90 Member

They added a second person, as well. Their No. 2 Jackets writer/Bengals writer left around the same time as Portzline to join the Athletic as well. Note that they have not found anyone to replace the Bengals content.

Steve Gorten (@sgorten) | Twitter

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wow, wicked. I guess your story ranks right up there with one of the worst I've heard regarding the company. In my own case, I simply burned out trying to fulfill all the multi-tasking mandates. In the end, the quality of my work suffered. Had to get out to preserve my sanity.

The Dispatch's hockey hires are outstanding ones. However, I cannot forget former Editor Ben Marrison exited within days of the sale to GateHouse. Marrison's one of the best newspapermen I've ever known. Best of luck to all involved.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy for George, a former co-worker from my 1 Herald Plaza days.

Liut likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe I read a few weeks ago that the Miami Herald was planning to severely whack its Panthers coverage. So this makes sense.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Unless something changed, there isn't a full-time Panthers beat writer among Herald, S-S or PB Post.
    Guessing Marlins, by far the costliest to cover, are next, if they didn't already whack road trips this year.

9. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

Yeah one of the papers just pulled back their coverage of the Panthers.

Draft saved Draft deleted