1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbia Missourian seeks assistant sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MarkRSelig, Jul 14, 2015.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

So, do they get paid as professionals or do they get a paltry minimum wage I got as sports editor of my college paper? I would have given that up for free tuition!

2. wfl

wfl New Member

The kids who write for the Missourian (and usually the Maneater prior to that) are undergrad students. I don't know how it works for the reporters but I would imagine they do get paid, albeit differently than for this position... for a graduate student.

3. MarkRSelig

MarkRSelig New Member

The students do not get paid. They write for the Missourian as part of a class in reporting.

The editors (including this position) and newsroom teaching assistants all receive pay.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Randy Covitz hired me for this job back in 1980. I'm a little surprised that the editor is looking outside the school for candidates; when I was there the grad programs had enough students with professional experience to provide a decent field. Also, the job opened up every semester or two. But a lot has changed in (gulp) 35 years. I see Randy recently retired from the KC Star.

As I recall, the pay wasn't much, but that break on tuition was tasty.

Draft saved Draft deleted