1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbia Journalism School Grads?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stickkeys108, Jun 1, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I could go either way on that. I'm glad I worked during the school year and wish I'd worked a little more. The semester I stopped working so I could EIC the school paper really put us in a financial bind after I graduated.

But I think I just have a case of "I want my kid to do the opposite of everything I did" syndrome.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was set to go to Northwestern and I was told that it wasn't worth the money if you're going into journalism, plus my parents were only helping me out a little bit, so if I didn't go to a public school I was going to have to get loans.

All these years later my biggest regret was majoring in journalism. :D

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed that school is their job, but having a part-time one, even for a few hours a week, teaches them some responsibility and looks good on resumes. Even cushy jobs.

In college, I did tutoring other students, and also worked one night a week in my dorm signing in visitors during quiet hours. It was only a few bucks a week, but it basically provided me with spending money and, when there were no visitors, I could study, or even watch TV, and get paid for it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's a good point, Baron, but do you think extracurriculars - playing a sport, for example - also teaches responsibility? Or a summer job? I recall in high school that my parents basically made me get a part-time job the day I turned 16, to teach me "responsibility" (i.e., "If you're going to be living under this roof ...") Meanwhile, I was heavily involved in sports and the school paper. My grades suffered, largely because I was overextended and just didn't have time for it all. I do think that it's good for teen-agers to gain some work experience, because there is something different about a job than a sport or school activity. A whole other level of responsibility when someone is paying you. I just like to think it could be done in the summer instead.

It all might be a moot point. I've read that there are very few positions, in this economy, available for teen-agers to work part-time nowadays.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, extracurriculars teach responsiblity, and can be good experience if you're going into a particular field, such as the school paper for journalism. But unless you play a major sport for a major team, such as saying you're a football player at Florida, for example, employers aren't going to be too impressed that you played a sport.

6. That sounds incredibly horrible. "School is their job?" How stupid are you? Their job is educational and financial self-sufficiency. If you're one of these "I don't want my kids to work in college" twats, then you're gonna get fleeced and miss out on providing your kids a phenomenal "learning opportunity."

I can see it now. You have a daughter who you're not gonna "let work during school" and instead she's gonna spend every waking moment on her backside getting porked by ever man with a 3rd appendage on campus. But you're gonna pay for it because you're a pussy and..."she's not working so she's gonna have better grades."

Fucking idiot.

7. fishbulb

fishbulb New Member

Man, ease up.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're a guy who feels as if he had it hard. Nothing came easy. Boo hoo. Had to work up from nothing, so anybody else who has it easier isn't trying as hard or doesn't appreciate what he or she has.

You didn't have you parents pay for your education. They couldn't. So, you look down at people whose parents help them out a lot financially. You had it the hard way, and you believe it molded you into a man --- when the reality is it shaped you into an angry sort of elitist doppelganger.

I say this, because you come off as extremely bitter in all your posts. I think the goal of having your children focus strictly on their studies instead of worrying about a 40-hour job --- well, I think that makes Dick Whitman a good parent. Not a "fucking idiot" as you so eloquently put.

Is a degree worth the money? Maybe, maybe not. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying if you believe education is important, and you can afford the means to have your kid take it as seriously as possible --- why not? Why is that bad?

Juggling a full-time job with a major in the easier liberal arts (such as philosophy) is one thing. Balancing a job with a major like engineering is an entirely different story.

I don't have kids. But you can bet when I do, that'll be a dream of mine, too.

/Rant over

8. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Just a reminder to everyone that posting attacks like this will get you a very, very long break from the site. So don't do it.

9. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

Polite bump.

Anyone attend the grad program there lately?

If so, I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That may be the saddest, scariest and truest things I have read today.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In my experience, that describes Missouri grads, many of whom seem to think they also come equipped with stinkless sh*t.

Draft saved Draft deleted