1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbia Journalism School Grads?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stickkeys108, Jun 1, 2010.

1. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

Anyone here who attended Columbia's Journalism Graduate School?

I've spoken with someone in their admissions department and have been considered applying.

This is the only graduate school that I would apply to as I feel that it would legitimately further myself both academically and in the field.

However, given the job market, it could be a viable option.

Just wondering if anyone has any information and if they'd answer any questions.

Take care.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Information gleaned from knowing some Columbia alums:

- It's expensive
    - It's in one of the world's great cities, where there is no lack of things to cover.
    - That wonderful city is also expensive.
    - If you finish there, you will assume you are God's gift to journalism. However, if you are not God's gift to journalism, you will have trouble paying off the debt you incurred pursuing a journalism degree at an Ivy League school in this day and age.

Good luck.

3. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

All of these were pretty much assumed and understood going in.

We'll see what happens.

4. amoney

amoney New Member

Wait so you mean that diploma hanging on my wall doesn't make me god's gift to journalism? aw...crap.

Definitely worth it. I learned a ton about different ways and techniques to write and interview. Things I wouldn't be able to do with attending

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

But not, apparently, how to complete a sentence/thought?

6. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Oh how original of you to point out the irony of a Columbia Journalism graduate writing informally on a message board, message boards being the bastions of English language that they are...

7. amoney

amoney New Member

Thank you. Didn't realize I was going to be graded on my message board post. Just throwing out some random thoughts as I watched AG try for a perfect game.

But, back to the original question. Definitely worth it as I learned a ton about writing. I learned how to use more color in even simple news stories that make it much more interesting to the reader. I also learned about different ways to get the interview/quote/information.

But, the biggest concern is obviously cost. I had mine paid for (thank you mom and dad), but I seriously question how some of my classmates can pay off the debt.

(and just to be clear it should have said without attending and a period at the end, i didn't reread before i hit post)

8. danl214

danl214 Guest

This is something I have definitely thought about doing, but I doubt I would be able to afford. I've also looked into the CUNY School of Journalism, but if I am going to further my education - I think I'd like to go for the school with more clout.

9. JackS

JackS Member

I teach at the CUNY J-school, and while I'm not going to tell you it's better than Columbia, it is in the media capital of the world, just the same, with great internship opportunities, for a lot less money.

Don't write it off.

10. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

My emphasis is in broadcast, for what it's worth.

Aside from cost, it's hard for me to see much of a downside. Granted, that's a pretty large downside.

11. What's the sticker price on a J-Degree from Columbia going for?

12. amoney

amoney New Member

total cost of school = $51,063. That doesn't include apartment, food, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted