1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado regents vote to close J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Read more: CU regents vote 5-4 to close Boulder campus journalism school - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_17845940#ixzz1JXKwB5jV

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Coverage of the vegetarian and vegan movement will never recover.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know I'm a CSU grad, but I can shine more light on this when I'm not on my phone.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From the article in the Daily Camera, the main beef from those with advisory roles is the program just hasn't adapted to the digital age.

While I didn't learn too much from the print aspect of my undergraduate studies, I did have to take a couple of digital media classes. In the intro class, we had to work in small teams to make a short film. We had to learn the nuts and bolts of video and audio editing, proper shooting techniques and establishing a workflow.

That class was a prerequisite to the broadcast journalism classes where we had to produce packages for the campus newscast.

Unless CU required journalism majors to learn to write, paginate, produce audio, video and photo packages, and learn Web tools, it wasn't doing the job in educating students.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Also, the philosophy department is no longer adaquately preparing kids for the workforce. SHUT IT DOWN!

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I got very little audio/photo/video training out of my undergrad years as a strictly j-school kid. Granted, that was by choice and the program has served me well in the long run, but I would have been better off getting a double major or minor in journalism.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

agreed

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

When I was in J-School, I constantly heard some statistic that the number of Journalism students was going up every year by a pretty decent rate. If this is a way to limit that, I see there could be an upside.

That said I was very disillusioned with the way my J-School operated. Lots of talking about digital media, audio, web, and video. But when push came to shove there was not NEAR enough emphasis on that or real-world experience.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rick Reilly's alma mater closes the J-school.

Unbelievable.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't they vacate his participation?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They took him out of the media guide.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yes, CU fans hate him because he thinks aloud like a good columnist should. Damn you Rick, for not riding you alma mater's balls at all times.

Draft saved Draft deleted