1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado: No press passes for sites that allow anonymous comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Apologies if this is a db, but I didn't see a thread.

Via Romenesko:
    http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/09/cu_fights_anonymous_bashing_wi.php

I gotta say, I don't disagree with this policy from the university perspective. And from the journalism perspective, it enables legitimate media outlets to do their job without worrying about the 'citizen journalists.' And further in the story it read that scout.com, etc., have been happy to comply.

And, of course, one anonymous jackass in comments:
    Um, the university put the SID in charge of determining. It's kinda the job description.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I applaud the policy. Helps weed out the riff-raff. Plati's been doing this long enough to know what's right and fair.

I guess this is meant for the Clay Travises of the world. Or is it Travis Clay? Whatever.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Who's he?

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Some did who covers this SEC. Think he lives in or near Nashville.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope this becomes a trend.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think it's silly unless CU holds newspaper Web sites to the same stipulation. Seems as if a Web site ticked off the AD or coach.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seconded.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Thirded.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Actually, I'm gonna go with some BLOG pissed off the AD or coach.

They can't control what people say, but they can control who gets access to generate the original content. Without original content, BLOGS remain a secondary source.

10. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

I'm all for it. I've never been big on having a comments section, and this gives papers like mine an easy out. Weeds out the smack-talking cowards.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

On the surface, maybe this sounds like a good idea.

But once you start kowtowing to the wishes of an SID, where does it stop?

Bad precedent, IMO.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depending on what you're trying to get, a lot of that original content (especially from major-college sports) is available online in the form of transcripts and video clips.

Draft saved Draft deleted