1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado: Marijuana good, cigarettes bad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Colorado (and Utah) are trying to raise the minimum age to purchase cigarettes to 21 in an effort to stamp out smoking.
    So, the state that OKs happy weed, says not-so-happy weed is evil and filthy. It's always seemed odd to me that the people who lead the anti-smoking fight are often OK with legalizing marijuana. As if smoking marijuana does nothing at all to your lungs.

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-utah-move-hike-smoking-age-21-063423281.html

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can be anti smoking and anti marijuana without believing it should be illegal.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) The minimum age to purchase marijuana in Colorado is 21. So, at worst, this is making it equivalent.

2) Smoking marijuana doesn't do nearly the damage to your lungs that smoking the poison does, both because of the substances themselves and because of the amounts people smoke of each substance. You don't see a two-packs-a-day pot smoker.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How many pages can YankeeFan keep this one going for?

5. I strongly favor marijuana legalization, so I'm not debating that....but while I understand the second part of No. 2, I had always thought/read/been told that on a puff-per-puff basis, smoking marijuana was much, much worse for your lungs because the smoke is unfiltered.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was also my understanding. The reason marijuana creates less risk overall is volume, not the amount of damage per puff.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So marijuana has no negative affect on the human body at all? None?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nope, not at all. Neither does Hostess Ding Dongs.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hard to think that, if you're a pack-a-day smoker who also smokes a joint or two a day, your pot use damages your lungs more than your cigarette use.

Do the math. Twenty cigs a day is a lot more smoke in your lungs. Even with filters.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I also wonder if all that "Marijuana smoke is much worse for your lungs" talk was just the government propaganda of the 1970s.

I gave up pot a long time ago. I gave up cigarettes a few years ago.
    Nicotine, as I've read, is the most addictive drug out there. Glad I won that battle.

Draft saved Draft deleted