1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado is on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Or at least some to slow it down so firefighters can get the upper hand. But it's so damn dry that right now, it's going to take some downpours to at least slow it down.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The problem is.....whenever a thunderstorm comes through.....what's the one major factor with it......WIND.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is it even safe to breathe in Colorado Springs right now?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The weather in Colorado has been insane this summer.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's fine and on his honeymoon right now. In the Virgin Islands, I believe.

6. MileHigh

Fire doubled overnight to more than 15,000 acres. More than 32,000 people remain evacuated. At least 100 homes burned.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

My cousin lives in Colorado Springs. I believe the phrase he used to describe things yesterday was "Hell on Earth." I've lived in Los Angeles for half of my life and dealt with some particularly nasty wildfires, but this is totally on another level.

Here's a photo my cousin posted to his Facebook page yesterday (I don't think he took it, though):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. MileHigh

Former co-worker lives in the Springs and the fire got a quarter mile away when they finally evacuated last night. They're fine and they *think* their home made it. More storms coming in today.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm surprised my in-laws have been spared over the years as they live pretty high up in the foothills and it's pretty dry up there. They had a close call several years ago when a fire came within 2-3 miles of them.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has there been a history of fire suppression in Colorado? That's always one thing that comes up in California when wildfires hit -- we are reminded again that because we have built out so far into the wilderness, for a hundred years we have been stopping natural fires instead of letting them clear out the underbrush. So now any fires that do get started are tremendously worse. People have been predicting doom for Tahoe for this very reason.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's a history of suppression throughout the west. Allowing fires to burn in wilderness areas is a fairly new policy.

"Fire Season" by Phillip Connors has some great info in it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's usually enough rain mixed in during the summer months to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted