1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. sports editor hurt at football game (updated: how you can help page 4)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Colo. sports editor badly hurt at football game

Every time I feel stupid for bailing out every time the play gets anywhere near me, I remember a story like this.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never trust HR when it comes to workman's comp.

A few comp claims just kills something with health insurance or something like that. Unless it is 100 percent obvious, HR will not tell you it is comp.

3. KG

KG Active Member

He doesn't work for a paper, but my husband was told not to file for workman's comp when he injured his foot at work. It was something that ended up healing okay anyway, but it could have gotten severely infected and caused many problems. He's looking for another job.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand. If you really did get hurt at work, why would you not file a worker's comp claim just because someone told you not to?

5. KG

KG Active Member

Because he's too stubborn to go to the hospital unless something is obviously broken or I threaten to break something if he doesn't go.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, that's different. That's a guy thing.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That was my thought exactly.

Godspeed on the recovery.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really doubt it. Shooting the games you cover has been standard at one- and two-man shops for as long as there have been photos in newspapers.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I feel for the guy. I shot plenty of high school football from the sidelines back when I was a photog. You lose all sense of distance through the viewfinder... and if you back your eye away from the viewfinder, the camera itself completely blocks your view to the right. I got knocked on my ass once or twice, but never hurt.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I backpedal faster than LeGarrette (sic) Blount and Carmelo Anthony combined. I don't want to get hurt.. I don't want kids hurt because they run into me. But mostly, I remember that they're younger, faster, stronger, and in better shape. Plus, they got pads. I don't.

I hope this dude gets back on his feet sooner, rather than later.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I got knocked on my ass when I was a cheerleader. That shit hurts.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No kidding. Yeah, every time a guy starts running toward the sideline or catches a pass out in the flat, I go into my Lester Hayes backpedal.

Trouble is, at a lot of high school stadiums, there's a fence close by that sometimes makes it impossible to get too far away too quickly.

I remember my first year as a prep writer, a bunch of guys came flying off the sideline and slid across the grass, coming to rest about two feet away from me. If they had hit me full-speed, there would have been multiple torn knee ligaments (and I don't mean for the players).

Draft saved Draft deleted