1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. sports editor hurt at football game (updated: how you can help page 4)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Colo. sports editor badly hurt at football game

Oh, I'm not saying he did anything wrong. My point was that in a time of shrinking staffs, forcing sportswriters and editors to tote cameras on the sidelines at HS football games is going to lead to more of this simply because they don't know how to protect themselves in that situation.

And Mizzou is right. This guy shouldn't be out a dime for medical care. The paper should cover everything.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The stories I've heard about writers not filing workman's comp claims because someone at the paper urges them not to make me want to go postal.

The paper should pay for 100 percent of his medical care and they should pay him 100 percent of his salary until he's as healthy as he was before he got clobbered doing the job of two people.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Just out of curiosity, who at the papers have told writers not to file for workman's comp? Execs?

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Reading this made me squirm because I've done several stops where I had to shoot and write and I've found the sideline to be a dangerous place at times.

There's been plenty of times when I've saved people on the sideline from getting run over. It's not a place to take chances trying for that perfect shot. Hopefully, he pulls through just fine.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

From the headline on the web story:

Valley Courier Sports Editor Lloyd Engen
    Hurt in play

coverning

Sangre football game

Looks like it was a two-man department. The link coffeman posted had a sportswriter's name to send stuff to. Of course, maybe he is part-tiime or freelance.

Hopefully, Lloyd fully recovers

6. Mizzougrad96

Always execs.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't file workman's comp if they were really hurt on the job?

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Damn. Hope he gets better and as others pointed out, doesn't pay a freaking dime.

When I was the one man show at my old paper, taking photos on the sideline (while doing stats/plays etc) was something I looked forward to. Then again, I always had a good sense of where to be and such.

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Didn't know if an editor was forced by execs to pass on a message or something. Doesn't make it any less shameful. Anyone who does that ought to have a crutch shoved up his ass.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

my thoughts are with you lloyd.

i got plowed into once by a safety and running back, straight into the guts. got the pic, too.

11. Mizzougrad96

I know of a photographer who was badly injured while shooting an event.

The executive editor told him, and many others in the newsroom that,

"I don't know why we should be responsible because he fell down."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hope that SE recovers. I winced when I heard what happened to him.

I myself once got nailed on the sideline. Players were running down the field. I got a shot, then ran out of the way. The runner was tackled about 15 yards past where I was, the whistle blew, and I thought I was OK.

Then, two players trailing the play decided to slam into each other, and their momentum moved into me. Luckily, I only had a bruised finger from banging on a helmet. It could have been much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted