1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. intern finds out you can't just copy & paste the NYT archive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Colo. intern finds out you can't just Ctrl-Z the NYT archive

That's what I thought, too.

Of course in hindsight, I'd bet she wishes she could now.

2. Re: Colo. intern finds out you can't just Ctrl-Z the NYT archive

That's my reaction as well.

Seriously, I find it hard to beleive the parents, muchless the school administrators let you do that.
    I agree with you 100 percent, but I find really hard to beleive you get away with it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a serious question here, and I have been out of the biz for about eight years, but how was she caught?

Does the NYT read the Colorado Springs paper? Was something she wrote picked up by AP?

And yes, Crimson, cheating for students these days is a little less unconscionable than it was 20 years ago, but I also think the level to which they cheat (thanks to computers) has increased dramatically.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why couldn't this have happened to a more "Lovely and Talented" intern....

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

A close friend who's a college professor had two students submit identical papers last semester. The parents of one were irate and insisting they would drag the case through every appeal level. The other student was willing to accept the standard punishment. The twist is that, if the parents persist, the other student's case will be yoked to the appellant's instead of being handled at the departmental level.

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

What the hell's a rocket surgeon?

Is it like a brain scientist?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Any school administrator who won't back a teacher in that spot needs to find a new line of work.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It'll get you fired from the Gazette, but I heard Joe Biden's looking for an intern. Fits his qualifications, too. :)

Okay. Zinger done, back on topic. It just amazes me to think that some people today think nothing of lifting passages from other papers and they think it's fine! Wow. People lose their jobs and yet the cheap/free talent they're hiring does shit like this.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If she hit "Control Z" she would have been fine. "Control C is copy"

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Guess the "lovely and talented" editor of the Florida Independent Alligator didn't cover plagiarism and stealing others work during her stint in charge last year.

The champion of blogs and new media also hasn't updated her blog since last March.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She's busy working for Sen. Bill Nelson, doing important things in her career as a professional intern like data entry; clerical and secretarial duties.

Yesterday was also her one year anniversary of "You go girl!"

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A close friend who's a college professor had two students submit identical papers last semester. The parents of one were irate and insisting they would drag the case through every appeal level. The other student was willing to accept the standard punishment. The twist is that, if the parents persist, the other student's case will be yoked to the appellant's instead of being handled at the departmental level.

Draft saved Draft deleted