1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Writer, Southern Illinoisan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JB20, Sep 12, 2006.

1. JB20

JB20 Member

They didn't waste much time. Here it is ...

The Southern Illinoisan, a regional 30,000/daily- 40,000/Sunday-circulation, seven-day, morning newspaper, is seeking an experienced and versatile professional to join our sports reporting staff. The position entails writing for daily and weekend editions, special sections, Web site, and handling special projects as assigned.

The successful candidate will be equally adept in covering college level basketball from a news, feature, and in-depth writing perspective. At least three, preferably more, years of daily newspaper experience is preferred.

Saluki athletics is vitally important to our readers who expect in-depth coverage from the Southern Illinoisan. If you are the reporter we are seeking, please send cover letter, resume, and clips to:

Mary Mechler
    Southern Illinoisan
    710 N. Illinois Avenue
    Carbondale, IL 62901

On-line applications available at: www.thesouthern.com

Equal Opportunity Employer

2. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

What are we talking salary wise? Since it's Lee and it's 30K to 40K, would it be upper 20s, lowers 30s or am I way off?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I have no idea what this paper would pay, but high 20's would be more than sufficient to live there.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know a couple people who would vouch for this paper and town. You could do a lot worse than cover I-AA football and MVC hoops -- as long as the salary makes sense, of course.

5. Weeb1

Weeb1 New Member

Who left?

6. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since the other thread got locked, good luck to Paul Klee in Champaign. He's a good guy.

8. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Agreed. He loves his hoops, and he'll do a good job with the Illini.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, isn't a Saluki a dog breed?

Southern Illinoisan needs to get busy with his own movie posters.

10. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I'd heard that they were looking to move quickly on this one. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone have an inside source? Any movement?

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what's a Saluki?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Egyptian dog. That area of southern Illinois is often called "Egypt". Have no idea why.

Draft saved Draft deleted