1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College writer, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Oct 8, 2007.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Does anyone have any updated info on this situation?

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

they still taking apps?

3. C'mon, Tony. Give us an update. You've got two weeks worth of clips and resumes.

How many do you think he's got? At least 60? 70?

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I heard from a friend of a friend (take it for what it's worth), that they are waiting for word from the hire-ups to continue with the search. Might be a temporary freeze.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Did some stringing work for them a couple of years ago. They seemed like a nice group of folks.

Sounds like a good place to work but it might well be that the community isn't for everybody. It's 90 miles away for LA but with traffic and all, it's doesn't seem like the sort of thing where you can get to LA very often. I think there might be some frustration being near and yet so far away.

6. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Wannabeu, your inside sources are correct.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Local, local, local.

8. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

How long will the "temporary freeze" be? Or will it end up like most hiring freezes and never be filled? My money is on the latter.

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

how common is something like this for a privately owned paper? I wouldn't think there would be this kind of problem there.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

According to the SE's post in the preps writer thread, they will be filling one of the two vacancies with the other to be filled early next year.

11. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Just the ASE here. We'll fill the college position before the 2008 fall season. I'd like to share my thoughts on the matter but I'd likely be looking for a new job.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

With all due respect, I never have seen a position that was frozen for that long, unfrozen. Good luck acclimating to the reduced manpower situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted