1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Station, Texas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Thumbs up to Dixie Chicken

Other than College Station is pretty much a cult

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Now that's funny, and I hate Rome.

But not as much as I hate A&M. The Sherrill-era team was playing my school on national TV and kicked an onside kick, after scoring a touchdown, with a 60-point lead in the fourth quarter. I've wanted nothing but their destruction ever since.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You should try hanging out with some of their insufferable fans. Between the Aggies faithful and the Longhorns bandwagoners it is pretty freaking awful.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I covered an NCAA baseball regional there one year, and the A&M fanboys in the press box just couldn't believe what was happening to their team. And a future co-worker reveled in every, last second.

I did the Dixie Chicken. Only downside: when they say last call, they really mean it. It's like Bourbon Street at midnight on Fat Tuesday. Start at the back and force you out, basically.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'll testify for 'Gola. Aggie fans are a bizarre lot. Longhorn fans are generally pretty arrogant. And no one has a bigger inferiority complex than Red Raider fans, who are desperate for someone, ANYONE to consider Tech a rival.

By the way, the Aggies have never, EVER lost a game. They just got outscored. It's in the Fish handbook. Really.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love Aggie jokes. Especially the visual ones.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Say what you will about the Aggie fans, but when they get Kyle Field swaying in unison it's a pretty damned cool thing to see ... provided you don't get motion sick from it.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is what I have heard. I want to see a game there before I move away from Texas.
    The most annoying thing is when you are in Austin and you decide to be obnoxious by flashing the hook 'em Horns symbol downard and they all assume you went to Tech.
    I just continue to pimp the Pac-10 and even went so far to, God forgive me, pimp the SEC last year to get the college football fans in this state to shutup.

9. This summer has been very mild compared to the usual 100+ degree blast furnace summers. And for the record...I try to avoid College Station as much as possible.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

The western 2/3 of Texas are like this, but the eastern third is as humid as any part of the country. College Station is more humid than arid, although it's really Central Texas.

Having many, many Aggie friends, and very close friends at that, they are sickeningly obnoxious in their fanboyness. One previous poster mentioned how cool he thought the swaying "Sawing Varstiy's horns off" thing is. Try being in that crowd with a bunch of jackass Aggie fans forcing everyone to do it.

And yes, Longhorn fans are obnoxious, too. But the main difference is this: Longhorns can't believe you would think you were worthy of being a Longhorn, while Aggies can't believe you would ever consider being anything else. (That said, OU fans are worse.) Everywhere you'll go you'll hear people doing the "Whoop" thing, even honking the first eight notes of the Aggie War Hymn on car horns.

Anyway, it's a pretty humid place. Not Houston-Shreveport-New Orleans humid, but fairly humid.

And if you're looking for a good place to eat, go to Lane's. It's a chicken strip place beside the new Raising Cane's (also a chicken strip place that's equally as good that started on the LSU campus, I believe). Either one of those places is good. Koppe Bridge is also a pretty good place to eat (chicken fried steak kinda stuff), and Rudy's is respectable chain barbecue.

Almost forgot...Chicken Express is the king of fast food chicken strips. So if you like chicken strips, you're pretty much covered with those three places.

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

We're going to try to go to the UT/A&M game this year, since it's at Kyle. I really want to go to a game there.

On the subject of the upside-down hook 'em gesture, I hate the stupid OU fans who do it when all the freaking time... even when they're playing, say, USC.

Draft saved Draft deleted