1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Sports Reporter in New York (Wall Street Journal)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ss90, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ss90

ss90 Member

I was surprised to see this listing still up on the Dow Jones careers board. The Wall Street Journal was looking for a new sports reporter over a year ago and I saw this listing for the first time months ago and it is still up now.

I read the WSJ's sports coverage and I listen to their reporters on podcasts I subcribe to. Based only on my sense of the sports desk and the fact that this job has been open for months, they are not going to hire someone who doesn't fit into exactly what they are looking for and will not fill this if they do not like the candidates. Good luck to whomever gets this job, Journal sports has a specific (but interesting) style that few other publciations try their hands at.

--
    Job Description

The Wall Street Journal is seeking a reporter to cover college athletics. Few topics generate as much reader passion as college sports, and we need someone who can tackle this area from all directions.We want a reporter who can write innovative and counter-intuitive stories about college football and basketball when they are in season, capturing the rising stars and larger-than-life coaches, the absurdity of fandom in big-college sports, and the mega-dollars at stake in the machinations of the top programs. At the same time, we need a reporter who will take on the high-altitude problems that increasingly plague the NCAA: bribery scandals; a culture of sexual violence in some programs; and one-and-done basketball stars whose quick departure for the pros has undercut that sport. A particular area of interest is the NCAA’s fading grip on the “amateur” status of players and growing drumbeat for paying college athletes.

*LI-JA1-WSJ

Company Overview

The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).

Equal Opportunity Employer

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets

College Sports Reporter in NEW YORK, New York, United States

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is there sports in the WSJ print every day? Haven't read it in at least 8 years and back then pretty sure there was only sports on Friday.

3. ss90

ss90 Member

They added a full-time sports section four or five years ago. Jason Gay is the principal sports columnist, they have a staff of five-ish reporters in New York covering the major sports, and a few people in europe covering international soccer and the Olympics. It's not daily coverage, but there are several stories a week and all the major events in U.S. sports are covered.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Ty, will have to check it out. Remember way back WSJ broke the story about the Giants stealing signs when Bobby Thompson hit The Shot Heard Round The World. The year the BBWAA honored Thompson and Branca it was pretty funny. TJ Quinn made some snide comment about the WSJ article and how they weren't part of the BBWAA. Well, maybe not but they beat the piss out of everyone in breaking that story.

Giants Stole the Pennant! Giants Stole the Pennant!

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think this story morphed into the book, "The Echoing Green," a great read.

Draft saved Draft deleted