1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College RapidReports Correspondent, CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by alylemoss, Jan 20, 2011.

1. alylemoss

alylemoss New Member

Position: College RapidReports Correspondent, CBSSports.com

Role and Responsibilities:

CBSSports.com is hiring 58 freelance correspondents to cover a college beat as part of a new feature, College RapidReports. The model for College RapidReports is similar to that of NFL RapidReports, CBSSports.com's "boots on the ground" operation that provides in-depth, daily coverage of all 32 teams and is heading into its third season. College RapidReporters must be available to cover home games, press conferences, open practices, and other relevant team-related events, while providing fresh news, notes, analysis and quotes to keep our users coming back. We will also be calling on RapidReporters to file occasional stories and features as the need arises. Salary is paid on a weekly, contract basis, with additional payment for accepted features.

The College RapidReports feature is launching with a network of 40 correspondents for college football in late July/early August 2011, and coverage will begin for 40 men's basketball teams in late October/early November 2011. For a total of 22 schools, we're looking for one RapidReporter to cover both football and men's basketball. To that we'll add 18 football-only RapidReporters, and 18 men's basketball-only RapidReporters in the fall. Yes, there will be coverage decisions to make for the 22 reporters who are in charge of two sports and we'll adjust schedules accordingly.

A list of the beats we're looking to fill:

Football/Men's Basketball (22): Arizona, Arkansas, Cal, Clemson, Florida, Illinois, Georgia Tech, LSU, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA, Wisconsin

Football Only (18): Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Iowa, Miami (FL), Michigan, Nebraska, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Penn State, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, USC, Virginia Tech

Men's Basketball Only (18): Baylor, Connecticut, Duke, Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia

Ideal Candidate: If you're a writer or editor for a college publication and are looking to establish some professional journalism credentials, we want to talk to you. If you're a veteran reporter who thinks this position might fit in among other things you're doing, we want to talk to you too. We know that a combination of writing talent and good reporting instincts is not solely the domain of the veterans, though we have a number of highly experienced reporters on the NFL side who have fit in nicely with what has developed into a very popular feature.

Send cover letter, resume and three (3) clips (links are acceptable) to:

Tony Moss, Senior Editor/RapidReports - tony.moss@cbsinteractive.com

(Given the number of positions we're looking to fill, I'd appreciate it in this case if you could refrain from phone calls).

About CBS Interactive: CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the best online content network for information and entertainment. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, BNET, and Last.fm span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news, and business. With more than 150 million people visiting its properties each month, CBS Interactive is a top 10 web property globally.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Talked with folks down there about nine months ago for a similar situation (didn't get it) and was impressed. Have only heard very, very good things about the CBSSports.com folks.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For good reason - they're very good folks. They've built their NFL model the right way and now they're expanding with a good knowledge base of how to do this. Adding Tony Moss to the mix was a huge plus along with the other people there. Some sneered when the NFL model was brought up here. But it worked and worked well. This will, too.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is this the same Tony Moss that was at Sports Network? If so, he gets the, ahem, BrianGriffin seal of approval. That's no Moddy seal, but it's the best I got.

5. Moderator1

One and the same. Tony has been with CBS a couple of months now - and any seal is a good seal Brian. Super addition for CBS, where he joins a crew that I've already noted is top notch.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

How would a member of a full-time staff get his/her editor to let him/her take one of these gigs? I'm just guessing the pay won't be enough to survive, and it requires a lot of time to cover a beat this big -- taking time away from your work -- and you'll be taking ideas from your college reporter.

7. Moderator1

Different people have different deals, different situations dkphxf - it won't work for everybody. One of the NFL guys when I was there was also the beat writer for one of the smaller papers that covered a team. He did this with his paper's blessing and it worked out well on both ends. A couple of guys did some radio, others had some other writing gigs. And still others did only this.

When I covered VT full-time for the Richmond paper, I could not have done this. But there were plenty of radio guys, guys at weekly or smaller papers, younger and talented guys on the college paper, who could have done it and done it very well.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was pretty intrigued by the ad, but it looks like the school I'd be able to cover is one of the few in BCS conference not on the list. It sounds like it will be great for the right people though.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I can also vouch for Tony Moss, even after interviewing for but not getting a job at his previous stop. Tony was a gracious host and a good person to visit with during the day, and he was a straight shooter throughout the process. He's got good ideas and a level head, and he'll do well there. We did somewhat parallel work covering I-AA national stuff more than a decade ago, and I respected his work then, as I do now.

If I were still on a major college beat, I'd be interested.

Dot your i's and cross your t's and get going if you're even remotely curious.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyone know what the pay would be?

11. jrw

jrw Member

Damn, I would love to cover Texas A&M...

This is one of those jobs where it only works if you live in the town.

12. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Pay is $300 per week, I heard from a good source.

Draft saved Draft deleted