1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hoops preseason coaches' poll is out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Oct 26, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

ESPN/USA Today Poll
    1. North Carolina (10) 0-0 739
    2. UCLA (12) 0-0 734
    3. Memphis (8 ) 0-0 731
    4. Kansas (1) 0-0 669
    5. Georgetown 0-0 625
    6. Louisville 0-0 620
    7. Tennessee 0-0 598
    8. Michigan State 0-0 503
    9. Indiana 0-0 479
    10. Washington State 0-0 464
    11. Duke 0-0 390
    12. Marquette 0-0 381
    13. Oregon 0-0 360
    14. Gonzaga 0-0 252
    14. Texas A&M 0-0 252
    16. Texas 0-0 216
    17. Arizona 0-0 205
    18. USC 0-0 189
    19. Arkansas 0-0 173
    20. Pittsburgh 0-0 160
    21. Stanford 0-0 158
    22. Kentucky 0-0 155
    23. Southern Illinois 0-0 137
    24. North Carolina State 0-0 119
    25. Villanova 0-0 111
    Others Recieving Votes
    Kansas State 94, Syracuse 69, Ohio State 65, Clemson 56, Connecticut 55, Butler 42, Davidson 39, Xavier 38, Alabama 31, Mississippi State 30, Florida 26, Wisconsin 21, Illinois 16, Washington 12, Brigham Young 12, Nevada 8, Bradley 7, Virginia 7, Virginia Commonwealth 5, Utah 4, Baylor 3, Old Dominion 3, Saint Joseph's 3, Fresno State 2, George Mason 2, Utah State 2, Notre Dame 1, California 1, Maryland 1.

I'm surprised A&M is rated so high after losing their best player and their coach. I figured USC might be ranked higher because of Mayo. That's a team with three legit pro prospects. I'm shocked Stanford made it into the poll at all given that Brook Lopez is out for the first semester.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Wow, Florida not even in the top 30. Not surprising I guess since they lost, well, everybody. But it's still weird to see.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Once again, getting my hopes up, only to crash come March ...

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt at 20th surprises me with the losses of Vanilla Ice and Lurch

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Arizona and Duke get the name recognition rankings.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

as a wazzu fan, top ten rankings scare me. also is the pac 10 supposed to be really good? six teams in the top 25 seems like a lot.

7. Dangerous_K

Good coach, everyone returning. Granted they can't sneak up on people, but by February everyone knew Wazzu was for real and they kept winning.

I don't agree with all the USC love, losing Stewart, Gibson and Pruitt. An awful lot of faith is being put into a kid with serious ego issues and zero college experience.
    Also I don't know if Arizona's going to be any good: underachieving team that lost 55% of its offense, and Olson's looking like the hoops version of JoePa.

Oregon should be good, Porter should be an adequate replacement for Brooks. Stanford at full strength with both Lopez and Lawrence Hill has a quality front line. UCLA has maybe the best coach in the nation and a grip of talent. Those three and Wazzu make for an awfully tough top four.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

GO! B! U!
    Everything's right, with the Red and White.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not surprising to see North Carolina there, but every preseason mag practically anointed UCLA the champion.

10. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

The pre-season votes before Florida's first championship run

Others Receiving Votes
    Washington 144, Texas Tech 142, Kansas 96, N.C. State 74, Ohio State 74, Wisconsin 56, LSU 54, Georgetown 46, Charlotte 44, North Carolina 38, Michigan 24, Northern Iowa 21, Miami 16, Oklahoma State 16, Old Dominion 13, Florida 6, Bucknell 5, Ohio 4, Arkansas 3, Southern Illinois 3, Utah State 2, Wisc. Milwaukee 2, Cincinnati 2, California 1, Hawaii 1, Houston 1, Notre Dame 1.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

hey dangerous k, is washington supposed to be any good this year?

12. Dangerous_K

I imagine they'll be a lot like last year: really mediocre. I like Brockman's game, good low block presence. I thought Pondexter was actually better than Hawes as far as their freshmen, and he seems like the type who could average 20 this year. A lot depends on Dentmon. UW's point guard play has been pretty bad since Robinson left, because Dentmon's a headcase and Appleby was nothing more than a so-so gunner.

The team in the Pac that intrigues me is Arizona State. I don't think they'll be anywhere near as big a surprise as Wazzu, but they could slip into the NIT or with the right breaks the Big Dance. Sendek's a good coach and got them to buy into a slow-down system last year. Their record sucked, but they were competitive in nearly every game from February to March including UCLA. Plus he's got some talent: Pendergraph's probably the most underrated guy in the conference and they've got a transfer from Duke/former Mickey D's All-Star who should be pretty good right away.

Draft saved Draft deleted