1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hoops coaching firing/hiring thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So these don't get buried on the various threads:

Anthony Solomon out at St. Bonaventure.

///////////////////

SPECIAL NOTICE FROM SR. MARGARET CARNEY

Dear Members of the St. Bonaventure University Community:

I am writing to inform you that Head Men's Basketball Coach Anthony Solomon will not return to coach the team next season. As I am certain you realize, we made this decision after very careful consideration of a range of issues associated with the team and our related goals, objectives and expectations.

We thank Anthony Solomon for his dedication and tireless work during a very difficult period for our men's basketball program and our University. He placed a very strong emphasis on integrity. We highly value his contributions in this regard, and I know you join me in wishing Anthony and his family all the best in the future.

"I wish to express appreciation to the University for the opportunity to be a part of this community for the past four years," Coach Solomon said. "I also want to encourage the returning team members to remain committed to their future at this fine institution. Finally, I extend special thanks to the alumni and local community."

We will be sharing this information with the news media momentarily. Athletic Director Steve Watson will serve as the University spokesperson on this issue, and all media inquiries should be directed to Steve Mest (smest@sbu.edu or 375-2319), who can facilitate interaction with Steve Watson.

Athletic Director Watson will lead a national search to identify a new head coach to provide leadership for the program.

Sincerely,

Sr. Margaret Carney, O.S.F., S.T.D.
    President of the University
    H

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Am I the only one who thinks a nun shouldn't be firing a hoops coach?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well, she is the poresident of SBU. I'd be more worried about a nun having the initials STD at the end of her title.

Not exactly sure what it means because SBU is a Franciscan school, not Jesuit.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Dan Dakich's tenure at BG, while technically over now, will be officially over next week.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wonder how long Jeff Ruland has at Iona after the stinker of a season his Gaels turned in.

6. ned racine

ned racine Member

ruland should not be in trouble...he had a young team that ended up being injury riddled..he did great last year..he is an alum and they love him

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Sr. Carney is a remarkable lady, and "S.T.D." is a Doctorate in Sacred Theology. From her bio on sbu.edu:

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The guy from San Diego? He gone.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Guess that decision to take - and then leave - the West Virginia job worked out REAL WELL for him.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Valley gets a head start on championship week ... and coach dismissals.

Indiana State's Royce Waltman, Evansville's Steve Merfeld and Illinois State's Porter Moser all gone.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Brad Holland, that is. Guess the SD adminstration was tired of being the 'Zags bitch on the court. Not to mention Santa Clara pushed Dick Davey out and the WWL played that up to the hilt during the WCC tourney.

-When will Jay Johns turn in his playbook up in Corvallis? The Beavs just stink.

-Gottfried should be on the hot seat. That much talent and we never know which team is going to show up.

-Would Odom get canned at South Carolina as well?

-Hindsight is 20/20 for Dakich. Should have bolted to Morgantown. It's Beilein's town now.

-Anyone interested in coaching in Boulder. "Ricky" Ricardo Patton was dusted off by Bobby Knight today in OKC.

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Agreed, to an extent. If his reason for coming back was in fact that he found some shady stuff going on down there, can you fault him for passing up a lot of money? I understand it looked like a bad move, but it seemed like he was sincere in that he didn't want to be involved with any sort of misconduct.

Having said that, whatever it was that went down sure as heck didn't hurt Beilein. I think Dakich will land on his feet as an assistant somewhere, but he sure as heck had BG on the rise in 2002.

In the end, absolutely he should have stayed there. But truthfully, I'm not sure he regrets it much.

Draft saved Draft deleted