1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hockey conference craziness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This sums it up. And CC and Denver were not in a million years going to be in separate leagues. No way.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

UAA Seawolves, I believe.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Because when I think Anaheim, I think...Alaska! lol

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Did Alaska-Fairbanks want a piece of that?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Notre Dame may want into Hockey East, but does Hockey East want Notre Dame? I know money wouldn't be an issue in terms of travel costs, and I'm guessing Notre Dame would pony up some cash for it. But for the most part, Hockey East schools can play home-and-homes in the same weekend, unless Montpelier or Orono are involved. It's just as bad as TCU being in the Big East.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a lot different in hockey where, yeah like Slapshot, most trips are bus trips...
    South Bend to Orono will be every bit the bitch as Omaha to Duluth or Oxford to Fargo.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There are, what, 70 schools now playing D-I hockey?

9. spikechiquet

Word out of Marquette (and by that, I mean speculation from the hockey PxP guy) is that NMU could announce a move to the WCHA within 10 days.

10. spikechiquet

So if this all goes down...why can't the remaining CCHA/WCHA teams just join up?
    The new league would have two 5-team divisions:
    Western Collegiate: Alaksa, A-Fairbanks, Minn. St., St. Cloud St., and Bemidji
    Central Collegiate: Ferris St., Lake State, Bowling Green, Mich. Tech, and Northern Mich.
    Teams would play home-and-home with their division and an alternating home-and-away schedule every two years with the other division for a total of 26 league games per year. That leaves 4 weekends to fill for each team to play old cohorts from the WCHA and CCHA (most likely on the road)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Part of why the Alaska schools are in the WC and CCHA is because, IIRC, they supplement travel to their schools. I would think the tradeoff is attendance, because for Michigan Tech and Ferris, they also get Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame... How long does that last against no marquee draws in the league?
    And I'm not seeing BG in for this. Either they join with new league with Western, Miami, NoDak, Duluth, or they fold the tent in hockey. BG has a great past, but it's been a while since they were relevant. So they either make a commitment to juicing the program or ditch it. Four games a year with Bemidji isn't going to draw.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The WCHA/CCHA leftovers need to form a 3-division league, the WCCHA:

Central Division:
    Bowling Green
    Miami
    Notre Dame
    Western Michigan
    Ferris State

Northern Division
    Lake Superior State
    Michigan Tech
    Northern Michigan
    Duluth
    Bemidji

Western Division
    North Dakota
    Minn. State
    St. Cloud State
    Colorado College
    Denver
    UNO

The two Alaska schools would be wild-card teams, not in any division, playing a balanced schedule against all league members -- and paying every plugged nickel of travel expenses for anybody going to Alaska. Presumably the schedule-makers would set up "Alaska swings" where teams would fly up, play 4 games in 6 days, then fly back.

Playoffs:

Three division winners get byes into the quarterfinals. Teams seeded 4-13 in the overall standings pair off in first-round series with winners moving into the quarters.

The Alaska teams would scream it was unfair because they couldn't win a division title. The perfect response would be, "tough shit. Go play in the Alaska Collegiate Hockey Association."

Draft saved Draft deleted