1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Grad Starting Out

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JimMerritt, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimMerritt

JimMerritt New Member

To all,

I've just recently graduated from the University of Connecticut and I am looking to start my journalism career in southern New England and the surrounding area. I have a great deal of experience writing and copy editing at UConn's newspaper, The Daily Campus.

Any information on job openings, etc. would really help someone looking to make a name for himself in the business.

Thank you.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Umm ... anyone? I've got so many things running through my head right now that I can't put any of them to the keyboard.

Good luck with this thread, kid. Go Huskies.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The Boston Globe just fired a whole bunch of people after the big fiasco about Spygate. They said for you to give them a call.

Good luck breaking in though, Jim. Godspeed.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Three posts in, and no one has said the two magic words yet?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wrong Boston paper.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yeah, well I have basically been under a rock recently. The Herald called then and said he's hired.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wrong board. Needs to move to journalism topics.

By the way, did you intern or string in college for anything other than the school paper? What about layout? If not, find the smallest newspapers around on the Web and start e-mailing editors. Look at making $20k a year, maybe less if you get hired on by more than a couple of newspapers that do post openings on the jobs board.

Check out the Jamestown, N.D. opening on JournalismJobs.com. as well.

8. You're Hired.

Dadgummit Rumple. I've always wanted to throw out a you're hired and you took my thunder.

As for Jim, good luck kid.

9. FreddiePatek

How about take a read of this then ...

[​IMG]

10. FreddiePatek

For my money, though, kid, you can't do better than running the sports section at a tiny daily (that is, under 12K). The pay sucks, but man, do you learn on the job.

But if your heart truly is set on a larger paper, you have to think preps. Magnificent way to cut your teeth.

Oh yeah ... the pay sucks in that scenario, too.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54622/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.