1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College golfer botches tournament on purpose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 6, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To me, that would have been the way to go. Maybe intentionally overclub or underclub on the approach and mis-hit one putt.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If he does that then he doesn't get any attention.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't mind this as much because Curtis didn't run, instead of stopping halfway through the 3,200 to tie his shoe or something.

Most competitors want to race against all of the best, though.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This. You want the guy to win, you can easily do it without making it so obvious. The dude shot par on the hole. Not like you had to hit six balls OB just to bag it.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's what I'm thinking. Although the end result is the same, withdrawing is not the same as intentionally throwing an event.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Don't see the sportsmanship here. Don't see the honor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think we'll all survive the indignity of a kid not playing to win. Leave it to journalists to crap on kindness for the sake of - ha! - integrity.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Maybe he would have won anyway.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Mickelson should have tried that explanation -- he shanked his tee shot 40 yards because he felt bad that Geoff Ogilvy would never win a major.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was "kindness for the sake of publicity."

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At an NAIA school? How much pub do those kids get?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like an interview with the kid who was in line for the spot if the kid doesn't go intentional shank.

And I agree - there has to be some rule in golf about intentionally hitting a bad shot for some perceived advantage. But then again - golfers concede all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted