1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College GameDay changes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 12, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: College GameDay changes... Andrews is in, Fowler is out.

Adding an extra hour to keep Andrews busy, eh?

I'm still tuning in at 10am Eastern to watch the show. One less hour of Desmond Howard and Big and Rich.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

This is far and away the best thing ESPN does. Glad to see nothing will change much from the only hours I'd tune in anyway.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Very well-put.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

...and you still watch it, spnited? [/ducksaschairisthrown]

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

My favorite part of the show is when the camera picks up the Coug flag flying. ;D

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I think the quality of the show lies somewhere in between those extremes. GameDay used to be excellent when it was just Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit. Then it was almost as if the people running the show started reading their own press clippings. The show has become bloated. (Three hours now? Really?) They started going on the road every week, making what was initially a special and exciting thing seem routine and cliched. (Here's another shot of college kids whooping it up and mugging for the camera!) They expanded the roster to include the folks back in Bristol (Rece Davis, Lou Holtz, Mark May) and added people who brought very little to the on-site crew (Desmond Howard, Erin Andrews). The commercials they ran last season bugged me, because they made the GameDay gang seem like personalities who were bigger than the games themselves. (Look at how cool Herbstreit is! He hangs out with Pete Carroll!) Somewhere beneath all of that, a decent show still lives -- and I must admit I still like Corso's headgear bit -- but it's not nearly as good as it was. I wish they'd simplify and go back to the way it used to be, but this is ESPN we're talking about.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As rule of thumb all good things get tweaked into oblivion.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And obviously, they brought in first Rocket Ismail (who was awful), and then Howard (who's still bad, but better than Ismail), to add a little diversity to the main stage.

Draft saved Draft deleted