1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sellmate, Jul 14, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, Aggies have the same kind of attitude, and I cannot abide the whole college station crowd.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

half the guys at these schools likely can't even spell the name, so what does that tell ya.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I, likewise, cannot stand the College Station crowd, though it's a direct result of my own pretensions...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Any sort of pretention or uppittyness just rankles me, regardless of the source. Hell, I used to jump on fellow sailors who acted superior to soldiers (or Coasties) and anyone who gives off the "I'm better because I went to Smelly Hole U" aura usually only gets sneers and contempt from me. Not saying I'm giving that contempt to you, Shooter, but that kind of thing bugs me, especially since I went to the University of Hard Knocks and therefore have no degree.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Boy, this thread got jacked in a hurry.
    Let me share something with all of you.
    Pretty much a secret so far. ;)
    Mississippi State is quietly building a winner on the gridiron and will take major steps this year toward becoming a perennial BCS program.
    Sylvester Croom has got the Bulldogs highly geeked for the '06 campaign and what comes after.
    Damn right I'm geeked for some football !!

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn. And your dream dies two days before anyone elses, too. ;)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. What the psychotic chick she said.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because their fans are five alarm flaming assholes.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, but their football alum don't go emphasizing the "AT" on introductions. They just say "Texas" or "UT Austin" like normal people would.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Go to Oxford, about two hours south and west of Columbus (nowhere near Tahoe, though), and you'll find shirts that say "Miami is the Ohio state university."

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And, in Athens:

OHIO
    (The State)
    UNIVERSITY

Established in 1804, Ohio University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio.

P.S., No, I didn't go there. Never set foot in the place. But it's always fun to rattle the Buckeyes' cages. :D :D :D :

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I never really disliked Ohio State or Michigan until about 13 years ago. But like IJAG, I have relatives in Ann Arbor...my cousin's husband does something with physics. (She herself has a master's in mathematics from Cornell; her description of her husband's job: "He does something with lasers, that's about all I can tell you.")

My own unrelated CFB story: My wife and I were on vacation last week in Oregon. We flew in and spent a few days on the coast (no Bandon Dunes, unfortunately) before driving to central Oregon, where most of her family is. We made a stop-off in Corvallis to meet one of her college friends who happened to be nearby (this also gave me a chance to pick up some CWS gear, as a cousin of my wife's plays there).

We got into town way early, so we drove around campus and stumbled on Reser Stadium. I got out to shoot a pic or two - figuring I probably won't ever step foot in Corvallis again - and I walk over to one area where I could get a clear shot. There's a burly guy walking down the street, and he asks me if I want some pics, I said yeah, and he said follow me. (I figured he had some sort of connections when he took me through a set of double doors that had a sign above them that read, "TEAM ENTRANCE".)

Up a few flights of stairs and we pop out into the OSU weight room. Amid the weights, there are several plate glass windows that look straight out onto the field. Snapped a few shots out the windows and caught some of the weight room too (which was about three times larger than our D-III weight room - for the entire college). Guy took me down a different set of stairs and we pop into the locker room. (My first thought was wow, this ain't like UO's locker room, but I kept that to myself.)

The guy was an academic advisor and had played there in the mid-90s. So, indeed, he had connections.

Draft saved Draft deleted