1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football writer gives up Heisman vote

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 8, 2013.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You're missing Dodd's point. This isn't about him. it's about a committee that thinks it is more important than the award.
    And he is right. If Tony Barnhart has abdicated, everybody else should, too.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I agree there's a larger point, but if you have to point out what it is, then there's a problem.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He could have written that, but instead he chose to make it about himself.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're asking here.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A few thoughts:

1. The column was overwrought and condescending. Dennis Dodd is a fine college football writer but a piss-poor scold. This sentence came across as particularly calloused: "There's something wrong with O.J. Simpson still having a vote (as a former winner) and a bunch of slappy sportswriters in danger of losing theirs." What does that have to do with any of this? His column devolved into personal attacks because it had such little logical standing.

2. The assumed privilege from so many sports writers seems so dated. They don't need us any more. They can reach the fans at greater volume than we can in most instances. If the parties responsible for the Heisman Trophy want to make ballots secret, there's not a whole lot anyone can do. Either oblige or lose your vote. Dodd essentially is the guy who was fired but walked out of the boss' office screaming, "I quit!"

3. It's important for sports writers to vote for awards such as the Heisman Trophy because it gives our industry some cultural currency. The same is true for the Baseball Hall of Fame elections. We need to make ourselves relevant as often as possible. These types of awards do that.

4. People care. That's why all of this is happening. As Dodd says, the Heisman ceremony draws great ratings even when everyone knows who will win. People care because we've conditioned them to care. There is no real reason they should. But the Heisman Trophy is a water-cooler staple. It never had much relevance to the game of football, but the Heisman remains one of the sport's biggest draws. Check TV ratings. Check Web hits. They care.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i think that was a pretty simple point to infer from the piece and don't understand why those in the "he made it about himself" camp continue to blather on and on. i think those are the very same people who enjoy making each and every thread all about themselves.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think the Heisman is recognizing that the "big reveal" aspect of their ceremony is gone. Smart writers are canvassing voters and anticipating results -- you'd argue that takes away from the news of the announcement, but it also adds (even) more interest in days leading up to it ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was a really good column. This wasn't a "Hey, look at me!" column. He explained himself very well.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I didn't think it was a self-aggrandizing column. It might have been better as one. Instead, Dennis Dodd prefers to turn his experience into a morality lecture, forcing his values on everyone else.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would think a columnist's job is to filter things through his values, and the readers can take from it what they will.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was hoping he would make it about me.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When was the last time the Heisman announcement produced a surprise?

I can't think of a single one during my lifetime, or at least since I was old enough to watch sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted