1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football writer gives up Heisman vote

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22030795/giving-up-my-heisman-vote-before-getting-stiffarmed

Curious how folks feel about the tone of the piece.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like it. I think it is nonsensical for the Heisman folks to think they can ask sports writers to vote on it and also expect them to keep their votes secret.

They can't have it both ways.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He sounds like the kind of guy who starts a thread to announce he's quitting a message board.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No he doesn't.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not at all.
    I've known Dennis for years, worked with him some. As far from an attention whore as you can get.
    I thought he made a strong case here and presented it quite well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You don't know Dennis. He's anything but that.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Agreed.

While many on this board will find his reasoning interesting (maybe), readers in general won't care. It's once again a columnist making the story about himself, when readers couldn't care less.

8. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

hmm. se does a column on why he voted the way he did every year. guess that's out the window.

waiting for an unpaid intern's blog post about why he's not voting in the coaches poll anymore

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Will be fun to watch of any writers - or a group of writers - who continue to vote call the Heisman Trust's bluff and reveal there votes ahead of time anyway.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Heisman now joins the ranks of the sports information director's coaches poll.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He made the story about himself.

Does anyone care that he didn't get his phone calls returned, or that not every writer received the same letter?

Did he really send that letter? It's unprofessional.

I can understand his position. I think he's even right. But, the DAC also has every right to have and enforce their policies.

He complains that he's publicized "Bill's" award, and now isn't getting the proper thanks.

Well, it's not supposed to be a quid pro quo. He wasn't covering the Heisman Award in the past as a favor to the DAC. or Bill Dockery, or Rudy Riska. He was covering it because it was a news event. So, to act like his favor wasn't properly returned, seems improper.

Write a story about the change in policy enforcement, and/or even your decision not to vote. Fine. But don't post you emotion filled letter.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's not the DAC any longer that makes the rules. Now "The Heisman Trust" . I was curious about who was members of the trust. Seems like a lot of NY Real Estate types. I know a few and they would not know a football if it hit them in the lip.

Draft saved Draft deleted