1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This week's menu.

All times Eastern. Lines by Bovada.

(Leaving out the editorial comments, given my pitiful prognosticating last week).

Friday

Boise State (+7.5) at BYU, 7 p.m., ESPN

Saturday

Houston (+7.5) at Rutgers, noon, ESPN News

Nebraska (-10.5) at Minnesota, noon, ESPN

Northwestern (+4.5) at Iowa, noon, Big Ten Network

Vanderbilt (+18) at Texas A&M, 12:21 p.m., SEC Network

Clemson (-14.5) at Maryland, 3:30 p.m., ESPN

NC State (+30.5) at Florida State, 3:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN2

Tennessee (+28.5) at Alabama, 3:30 p.m., CBS

Texas Tech (+7) at Oklahoma, 3:30 p.m., Fox

South Carolina (+2.5) at Missouri, 7 p.m., ESPN2

UCLA (+23.5) at Oregon, 7 p.m., ESPN

Texas (+1.5) at TCU, 7:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1

Penn State (+14.5) at Ohio State, 8 p.m., ABC

Stanford (+5.5) at Oregon State, 9:30 p.m., ESPN

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Undefeated Texas Tech is being given seven points against an Oklahoma squad that got murdered by Texas and struggled for a half against Kansas? Geez. Sounds like the safe bet of the week.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Monday of the Third Week of October. I don't care what the calendar on the wall says.

28.5 seems a bit high, IMO.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clemson is going to squash Maryland this weekend. Three weeks ago I was really fired up for that game. But when you have two stud WRs who bailed your entire offense out every week break their legs in one game, you're fucked. Against lesser teams, the depth the Terps have at WR would still make them competitive. But those two wide outs were relied on to bail out a bad QB. Now there isn't anyone to do that. I'll start drinking early and probably leave the game early, too.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to vegasinsider.com, LVSC (the "official" line-setter, although the books do their own thing) opened with South Carolina as a five-point favorite.

6. Steak Snabler

NCAA decision on Miami coming Tuesday, per The Miami Herald on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/HeraldSports/status/392353489541529600

7. Steak Snabler

Reportedly nine scholarships lost over three years for Miami. No bowl ban.

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/392632250258296833

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This is backwards, no? Although Oregon State is getting stronger each week, per usual for a Mike Riley team. In other words, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Beavs pull it off. A few weeks ago I would have said no chance.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed, muphyc. Oregon State COULD win, but Stanford has to be the favorite, even on the road.

Between that game and UCLA at Oregon, good weekend of football in the Beaver State.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm surprised it isn't more than that. Texas Tech has played a high school schedule thus far. Struggled to beat West Virginia. OU should win by 20 at home.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm shocked at the UCLA-Oregon line. Baring a turnover fest, I expect the Ducks to win, but not 23 1/2 points. UCLA is a decent team.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every week, I think the Oregon line is crazy. Every week they cover -- frequently by halftime. (They didn't against Wazzu, but only because Leach left the starters in while Oregon ran through its subs. The spread was 38 and the Ducks reached that at one point.)

Draft saved Draft deleted