1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What happened when Welsh got UVa to No. 1? :D

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why you gotta bring up old shit, Cosmo?

A young Big Circus was at Lane Stadium that day. That was the last time my dad took me down there. The beatdown, the cold weather and the horrendous traffic made him swear off the place forever.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Beamer won't be forced out. Ever. I think he's earned the right to leave on his own terms, even if it's a couple seasons too long. I don't have a problem with that mainly because I don't believe Beamer is the problem. Or even close to the main problem.

I had friends warn me about Scot Loeffler when VT hired him. Kinda wonder if he has any clue what he's doing. That offense is atrocious.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

But back on topic, I'm not overreacting to one loss. I've yet to see anything out of a Scot Loeffler offense that inspires any sort of confidence. Maybe Ford is the answer at quarterback. If he is, and you've already publicly punted the season in a post-game presser, as Beamer did, you yank the redshirt and let him start the final four games and give him some on-the-job training. Leal is about to graduate, and Brewer has had every opportunity to hold onto the job and failed.

EDIT: Obviously, Sonner and I are sharing the same brain on this.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Leal is worthless at this point, like you said. Maybe give him a start as a thank you for holding a clipboard for however long he's been there. Ford's the guy. Ford to Ford for the next three years might be a little bit silly. Gotta fix the OL.

Anyway, enough of that. I feel like OOP taking over the NFL threads.

The wiseguys are on Cal +19 and Cincy -10 tonight, right?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is possible Beamer is trying to hang on long enough to turn things over to his son?

I know Shane has been well-regarded as a recruiter everywhere he's been, and has worked for guys like George O'Leary and Steve Spurrier, so this is not really a Jay Paterno situation where he's basically been riding his father's coat tails his whole careeer. Shane's in his late 30s, so it seems like the time for him to be a head coach is getting close if it's going to happen.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think Shane is a much more logical guy to take over the program than Bud is as this point.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If Notre Dame wants to get rid of this kid over this, it now has a case. Assuming he and the film star took part in relations (heh heh), it's a violation of the Notre Dame Student Code of Conduct. (Yeah, it might seem a bit outdated by today's standards, but it is what it is.)

http://ntrda.me/1rt1Q6N

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Virginia Tech's situation is very reminiscent of Southern Miss where Jeff Bower hung on about two years longer than he should have, then got pushed out in a very ugly scene. Bower and USM have since kissed and made up, but it created a divisive split in the fan base (what there is of it) that still hasn't healed, and, I believe, laid the groundwork for the collapse of the program in 2012-13.

Beamer is VT football, but if he truly cares about the health of the program, he'll start seriously thinking about retirement. What I saw of them last night was not encouraging.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The current coach has killed a guy sent up the scissor lift to film practice. I don't think a little pre-marital coitus is going to hurt the university.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Funny that the rules against student sexual relations come from the office of
    student affairs.

This rule must not have been in effect when Prince Shembo was an undergrad.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh for the love of God ... how in the hell do you enforce that or even think about bringing a kid up on a code of conduct violation?

Draft saved Draft deleted