1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 8 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 14, 2013.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

Because Ohio State doesn't play anybody any good all season.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But who's to say who is No. 3 and who is No. 5? We get that now with the computer rankings and it hasn't solved anything.

Is Clemson better than Florida State? Oregon? Alabama? All sorts of possibilities. The only remotely clear-cut way I can imagine is you say in advance we're taking the champions of the following conferences.... no ifs, ands or butts about it. Feel like your team is more deserving? Win your freakin' conference or STFU. Conference too tough? Switch conferences.

Short of everyone playing everyone (which, of course, is impossible), I don't know that there's any other remotely equitable way to do it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, if LSU runs the table, that means they would have beaten Alabama. Does that take one-loss Alabama out of the equation? What if the ACC/Pac-12/Big XII champ is also undefeated? The possibilities are endless.

5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Do it the way the FCS does it. 20 teams, a champion from each conference (the FCS has three conferences with no auto bid), the rest wild cards chosen by a committee. Eight teams get a bye.

6. Armchair_QB

Endless? Not really.

Four unbeatens? Uh, no.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

OK, this got away from what I was asking about.

My question: if three teams from the SEC are judged to be among the top four teams in the nation, are there restrictions on the committee picking them?

I recall a limit of two teams from a conference as semifinal qualifiers being discussed at one point ... and the SEC coaches and commish objecting. Did that ever get resolved?

8. Armchair_QB

Nothing regarding restrictions has been announced at this point. Right now, theoretically, all four spots could go to teams from a single conference.

But that doesn't mean that a "conference champions and top independent only" rule couldn't be implemented once the committee is seated.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

How much do you guys think a playoff could be expanded?

I believe it should be like the FCS's 20-team model. I also believe the athletes should be paid. And I think the athletes believe they should be paid. And I believe they'd revolt if they went to said model and DIDN'T get paid for the extra wear and tear on the body that would come with playing, say, two extra games.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The FCS has moved to a 24-team playoff this year. 11 auto bids, 13 at-larges, 8 seeds who get first-round byes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thinking that Florida St / Clemson should be a pretty good game Saturday

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted