1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Has Brady Hoke been fired yet? No? I guess there are 2 million reasons why. Plus whatever Michigan has to spend to buy out his high-priced assistants.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/09/numbers_having_invested_114_mi.html

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thursday
    Central Florida (+3) at Houston, 7 p.m., ESPN -- Houston
    Arizona (+22.5) at Oregon, 10:30 p.m., ESPN -- Oregon by 40

Friday
    Louisville (-3) at Syracuse, 7 p.m., ESPN -- I don't know.

Saturday
    Florida (-1) at Tennessee, noon, SEC Network -- Good game. Florida at the buzzer.
    Texas A&M (+1) at Mississippi State, noon, ESPN -- Take the over.
    Virginia Tech (-1) at North Carolina, noon, ACC Network -- Yawner.
    Alabama (-5.5) at Ole Miss, 3:30 p.m., CBS -- Ole Miss straight up.
    Oklahoma (-4) at TCU, 3:30 p.m., Fox -- TCU post-Dalton is hard to gauge. Kind of like Boise the last few years. Sooners *should* cover.
    N.C. State (+14) at Clemson, 3:30 p.m., ESPNU -- Take the over.
    Baylor (-14.5) at Texas, 3:30 p.m., ABC -- Baylor by 40.
    Wisconsin (-9.5) at Northwestern, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2 -- Grinder. Northwestern to cover.
    Stanford (-1.5) at Notre Dame, 3:30 p.m., NBC -- Notre Dame by 14.
    Kansas (+24) at West Virginia, 4 p.m., FSN -- Mountaineers.
    LSU (+8.5) at Auburn, 7 p.m., ESPN -- Auburn
    Michigan (+3.5) at Rutgers, 7 p.m., Big Ten Network -- Rutgers by 21.
    Memphis (+6) at Cincinnati, 7 p.m., CBS Sports Network -- Cincy
    Miami (-1) at Georgia Tech, 7:30 p.m., ESPN2 -- Blah.
    Pittsburgh (+4.5) at Virginia, 7:30 p.m., FSN -- Pittsburgh lost at home to Akron.

Let's put this into perspective: Pittsburgh footballers this weekend lost to Akron one day, and Tampa Bay the next.

Arizona State (+10) at USC, 7:30 p.m., Fox -- Take the over.
    South Carolina (-7.5) at Kentucky, 7:30 p.m., SEC Network -- Cocks should win but maybe Kentucky punches them in the mouth a few times.
    Nebraska (+10) at Michigan State, 8 p.m., ABC -- Sparty by 25 or 30.
    Utah (+12.5) at UCLA, 10:30 p.m., ESPN -- UCLA
    Cal (+3) at Washington State, 10:30 p.m., Pac 12 Network -- Guns Up.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are you keeping your record for these weekly picks, Xan? I'd be curious to see how you're doing.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I do know he picked Florida outright over Alabama. That ended well.

Ole Miss does have a good shot against the Crimson Tide in Oxford this weekend, or at least they would if Bo "throw it deep down the middle and hope for the best" Wallace wasn't their quarterback.

5. Songbird

Hey, it was 21-21 at one point. Can't help it if the Gators don't have end-of-the-game fortitude.

6. Steak Snabler

It was, but that was because Alabama gave Florida 3 TDs with fumbles.

If you pick Ole Miss to beat Alabama this weekend, you're basically betting that Bo Wallace will pull a Stephen Garcia and have the game of his life.

Would you bet the mortgage on that? I know I wouldn't.

Dak Prescott or Kenny Hill? Sure, I can see that.

But not Bo Wallace.

7. Songbird

Bo Knows Bama?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Alabama is going to bitch-slap Ole Miss. At least I think so, but Vegas (which often knows what it's doing) only has Bama a 6-point favorite with Ole Miss only +190 on the moneyline.

Seems way off to me.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Penn State was a passing team, which gave Northwestern a chance if they could grab a few turnovers.

Wisconsin can and will overpower the undermanned Wildcats. Unless the Badgers do something stupid, like pass the ball, they win by at least 21 points.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Charlie Weis fired at Kansas. How many times is this guy going to be recycled?

11. Steak Snabler

I think he's done in college football. Might wind up as a QB coach/offensive coordinator in the NFL again one day, a la Mike Sherman.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I think he is finished as a head coach in college. He has been successful mentoring/developing QBs so he might surface again in that capacity. College football demands a head coach who can recruit and Weis has pretty well shown that he does not do that very well.

Recall he said that one of his pitches to recruits was to come to Kansas because the recruits could play there quickly since the guys on the roster stink. [I think he used the word "suck" but I am not positive.] That is not likely to convince a "5-Star/Blue Chip/Stud Stallion" to choose Weis' school...

Draft saved Draft deleted