1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 6 running thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The point is, it wasn't expected to really be doing even that.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, there's no way on God's green earth that freakin' Iowa is going unbeaten. But I'll play your game, you rogue.

As far as watchability? I'd take Florida and someone other than those two. (Actually, for it to be watchable for *me*, I'd take someone other than Florida. But that's neither here nor there.) But if Iowa goes unbeaten, then you pretty much have to put them there, if there aren't two other BCS-conference unbeatens. That's the system.

As for Boise, there is nothing that will convince me they're worthy of playing for the title. I'd take two two-loss BCS conference champs before I took Boise. The simple fact that Boise going unbeaten became a likelihood after their first game of the season says it all.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a non-BCS school playing for the title. But you wanna sit at the big-boy table, you can't insist on having nothing but mac and cheese. Do better with the parts of your schedule you can control. Do whatever you have to do, if it means paying a BCS school to let you play at their stadium.

They did the same damn thing last year. They don't appear to have learned their lesson. One game against Oregon isn't gonna do it.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Iowa run the table but they won't get past Ohio State. That's the one Big 10 program they've never had much luck with.

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

The $15 million someone mentioned is divided into 13 shares if it's an SEC team: one for each of the 12 schools and one for the league office.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

yeah, i know about the pie-splitting. but florida has a better shot to go to the title game than lsu does this season, so beating lsu is imperative to keep that perfect record. although alabama could get there, too, and the $15 mil would be secured.

and even if you take the money factor away, tthe whole prestige thing could cloud meyer's vision.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My understanding of concussions is that if you're vomiting on a Saturday, you're not ready to play a contact sport two Saturdays later. Anyone seen DocTalk lately?

Tebow may break some of the normal rules about durability, etc., but he's still human. (No, no. Really, he is.) Tebow will say he's ready to play. Meyer can find a doctor who'll say he's ready to play. But it's a coach's job, and a coach's responsibility, to keep him from putting himself in harm's way.

But then again, what's the worst that happens? He dies on the field, and he's back in practice on Tuesday.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Despite being 3-2, Georgia has done awfully well for itself so far.

What the hell has Tennessee done?

Regardless, huge game for both teams.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's what's caught my eye so far...

Houston -2 at Miss. State -- like that a lot
    Wiscy +14 at Ohio State -- for some reason, I like this a lot.
    Bama -5.5 at Ole Miss -- Meh. I suppose.
    Utah -7 at Colorado State -- CSU sucks badly, right?
    GT +2 at Florida State -- Little hesitation, not much
    LSU +8 at Florida -- Lot of points at home, at night, for LSU.
    Michigan +8 at Iowa -- Hesitant since Iowa plays to the level of its competition
    Georgia +2 at Tennessee -- Georgia is the better team AND getting points.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll stay FAR away from Wisky @ tOSU.
    Houston only giving 2. Shenanigans.
    I'll take Ole Miss to cover.
    No bet on GT-FSU. FSU is the most jeckyll-hyde team of the past 5 years.
    MICH-IOWA; In Iowa, under the lights; 8 seems like a bunch. Birds to cover.
    Georgia @ Tenn.; Agreed that the better team is getting the points.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Amen. my initial reaction to hearing he was playing on Saturday was that he should stilll be out under a doctor's care. Under a regular mild concussion you are to avoid not just contact, but running. He apparently has something a bit more. Methinks that if UF was playing one of their non-conf "opponents" he would probably sit.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They might not get past Michigan. This is not just the extreme fanboi in me. Iowa is shaky, Michigan needs a win especially with PSU coming up.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

There are a lot of reasons Meyer would want to win this game. Making sure the SEC gets its share of the loot is something that hasn't crossed his mind, I promise you. The SEC is going to get its millions in bowl revenue. Now, if you want to tell me a national championship would mean a lot more money to Florida and Meyer, sure, but that's not what your post said.

Draft saved Draft deleted