1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For the handful of us who care, let's not forget about Saturday's battle for this:

[​IMG]

Besides playing for a bronzed pig, the winner of the Iowa-Minnesota tilt has the inside track to a berth in the prestigious Little Caesars Pizza bowl.

Go Hawkeyes!

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Fear the Gopher!

8)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Minnesota cocks 'em.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Instead of becoming another Hayden Fry, why has Kirk Ferentz made like Jeff Tedford? Why has that program been stuck in neutral for the last three seasons?

5. I Should Coco

Hayden Fry had his ups and downs during the 1990s, with several losing seasons mixed in. Although Fry retired for health reasons, there wasn't much talent around when he left.

My personal opinion is Ferentz is right to stick with a traditional/conservative offense; they've been able to recruit players to make it work in the past, and can do it again. We'll see how this year's group does in the Big 10 part of the season.

They've had incredibly bad luck with injuries and off-the-field drama with their running backs over the past 3-4 years, and that's why they have a walk-on fullback as their starter now. Their young QB is OK, but he could use a few more guys at WR like Derrell Johnson-Koulianos or Marvin McNutt.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I bring up Fry because not only did he enjoy staying power (three Rose Bowls in 10 seasons), but he did so when the conference was a lot tougher than it is now. Ohio State, Michigan, even Illinois took turns in the top five back then for a while. Ferentz doesn't have that kind of competition.

Of course, then there's the giant pig (as opposed to elephant) in the room: Generation upon generation of Minnesota teams simply sucking.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Ole Miss hangs with 'Bama for a quarter, maybe even a half, but the Tide shall rolleth.

8. I Should Coco

You make a good point about the conference ... at the national level, Big 10 teams were powers in the 1980s and 1990s, and Fry's teams managed to knock off a few of them.

Iowa catches a break when they add Rutgers and Maryland next year; the "west" division will be the easier of the two, by far.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of a break Rutgers and Maryland are for present-day Iowa.

Rutgers just beat Arkansas and has been more than respectable the last 5 years (39-21, several bowl wins) and Maryland seems to have found a little newfound swagger. Edsall built UConn into a thing for a few years. He'll do the same at Maryland.

Iowa should worry about finding more guys like Tavian Banks who can rush for 1700 yards in a season to keep up with the joneses.

10. I Should Coco

Rutgers and Maryland will be in the Big 10's east division, Xan, along with Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St. and Indiana.

So once the Big 10 goes to a nine-game sked, the Hawkeyes will play their six west division foes (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue) and only three from the East, probably on a rotating basis.

So it may take a while for that Scarlet Knights-Hawkeyes rivalry to develop.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Georgia, playing at home, beats LSU, but probably by less than a touchdown.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck Maryland and its "swagger". It's beaten Florida International, which asked for a fucking running clock at Louisville. It beat Old Dominion, which gave up 58 at home to The fucking Citadel. It beat UConn, which got corn holed at home by fucking Towson. It beat a shitty West Virginia team at a neutral site. Fuckabuncha Terps.

Draft saved Draft deleted