1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 23, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's what Tim Brando thought over the summer. I can see a pretty easy route to having no SEC team in the final four. That happens and it goes to eight next season.

And are you the one that came with the SEC Vortex of Domination(tm)?

Anyway, I don't think it could happen but if the committee is choosing between a one-loss Michigan State team and a two or three loss SEC champ, I'd be inclined to go with Sparty.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vortex of Domination -- yes! That is my contribution. And precisely why it won't happen.

Seriously, I'd at least entertain the idea in some years, but not when: 1) There is no viable Big Ten candidate; and 2) there is no Boise-type spoiler team.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Michigan State wins out and finishes 12-1 it absolutely deserves to be in the playoff over any two-loss team.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That wouldn't happen if they're put up against a two-loss SEC champion. I don't think there's going to be one of those anyway, but for the sake of argument, Michigan State isn't going to have a single "wow" win. Ohio State and Michigan have already proved their worth, and nobody else in the B14 is going to do anything of note.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Everybody is piling on Michigan these days. Even Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/michigan-footballs-big-chill-bad-for-us-all-20140926

A major issue for the Big Ten is that its traditional recruiting base has dried up with the economy in most of its states -- hence, why it's trying to expand its reach. Certainly, schools can recruit and get good players, but the margin for error is lower if you're still getting most of your players from the Midwest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=5221661

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

ASU was up 17-6 on UCLA, which cuts it to 17-13 then goes up 20-17. ASU drives late in the half, at UCLA's 5, when the QB throws a pick-6.

27-17 at half carried over. UCLA won 62-24, the most points by a visitor at Sun Devil Stadium. Ishmael Adams returned the pick 95 yards, and also ran a kickoff 100 yards for another TD.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

TT-Okie State was fun to watch for 3 quarters. That is until Webb screws up his non-throwing shoulder, wants to come back in, but trainers won't let him. Enter Pat Mahomes II......yes, son of former MLB pitcher.

They will not win a game with him as QB.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Felt really good about taking UTEP (+27) at Kansas State.

38-0 KState early 3rd.

The fuck?

And of course, UTEP hits the switch in the second half, only to fuck me by 3 points, 58-28.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Georgia-Tennessee is a tight one again, with UGA up 21-17 late 3rd. However, the Vols' starting QB just got hurt.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Updates from Big 10 country:

Iowa up 24-10 at Purdue, five minutes left. Looks like C.J. Beathard is the man at QB. Weisman up to his old four-yards-and-a cloud-of-dust tricks.

Meanwhile, two fourth quarter turnovers have led Northwestern to a 23-6 lead at Penn State. Great win for Pat Fitzgerald if the 'Cats can hold on.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Didn't see Northwestern coming up to State College and doing that. Yikes.

Watching Minnesota-Michigan. Normally I would say it's a game with a "Dead Coach Walking" but, since that coach is playing Minnesota, I will refrain.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

While the game was never really in doubt in the second half, UGA did suck enough to keep the Vols in it until the final whistle.

The SECE is on par with the Big 10, IMO. Which means Mizzou may finish last.

Draft saved Draft deleted